VMware Cloud Community
DJHamp
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Move emc lun to another esxi host

We have one ESXi server connected to a emc clariion cx3-10c (iscsi, 1 lun). We are going to full ESX and this server needs to be rebuilt to that. I have built a new esxi server and would like to keep the VM's that are on the lun. Is there a way to connect the lun to the new esxi server? I see a migrate option in Navisphere, not sure what that does. i am a rookie!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Lightbulb
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

You should be able to present the existing LUN that back your VMFS datastore to the new ESXi host by adding the new host the Storage group on the Clariion. Then the new server will see the VMFS datastore and as long as the network settings (Vswitches) are the same on the new ESXi host you can migrate the VMs to the new host and then decommission the old host.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Lightbulb
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

You should be able to present the existing LUN that back your VMFS datastore to the new ESXi host by adding the new host the Storage group on the Clariion. Then the new server will see the VMFS datastore and as long as the network settings (Vswitches) are the same on the new ESXi host you can migrate the VMs to the new host and then decommission the old host.

0 Kudos
atbnet
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Yes you can do this.

First shutdown old ESXi server.

Install ESX on the server.

Boot and perform any further config of ESX eg networking for iscsi

You wont need to change anything is navisphere if it is the same physical server as the HBAs are the same. It wont know any different.

Add the datastore back in ESX, scan HBAs.

Add the VMs back to the inventory.

Power on VMs.

Andy, VCP / vEXPERT

Help, Guides and How Tos

If you found this information useful please award points using the buttons at the top of the page accordingly.

Andy Barnes
VCP / VCA-DT / MCITP:EA / CCIA
Help, Guides and How Tos... www.VMadmin.co.uk

If you found this information useful please award points using the buttons at the top of the page accordingly.
mikemast
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I would recommend before you install ESX you unplug the fiber cables from the server that go tot he SAN, ESX has a tendancy to wipe the partition tables of the disks it sees, during the install.

I have had this issue a few times myself, and you might have to rebuld the table if this happens. So better safe than sorry, and unplug the fiber cable from the SAN during the install, then plug it back in once the install is complete, then rescan for the old LUNS.

MIke