VMware Cloud Community
vizvayu
Contributor
Contributor

Memory overhead

I have ESXi 4.0U1 installed in an IBM x3200M2 server with 8GB RAM. It works fine overall, but I think I'm experiencing too much memory overhead:

(This is with a clean, just started server, and with all VMs stopped.)

When I go to the "Resource Allocation" tab for the host in vSphere, in "Total Capacity" I only have 6131MB RAM available for VMs. I tried lowering the memory reservation for system resources but 6131MB is the best I got. It goes down a bit when powering on my 5 VMs, but only to 6125MB. Is this normal or is something wrong with my config?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

no that is about right as I recall the memory requirements for the vmkernel in vSphere are higher -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
vizvayu
Contributor
Contributor

Ok thanks. Is there any way to be absolutely sure of this? Anything I can read...? I searched the official docs but didn't find anything concrete...

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership

I've never seen a statement like that but I am 99.999 % confident it is true.

Duncan

VMware Communities User Moderator | VCP | VCDX

-

Now available: Paper - vSphere 4.0 Quick Start Guide (via amazon.com) | PDF (via lulu.com)

Blogging: | Twitter:

AmeenMunaff
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Guess you would have enabled HA & DRS. If thats the case you will get that much only for your VMs Smiley Wink

Regards, Ameen Munaf
0 Kudos