VMware Cloud Community
HaiGe
Contributor
Contributor

Maximum File size

Hi all,

On my ESX server, it shows the maximum file size is 2048 GB (block size 8MB)

I tried to extend the HD over 1023 GB failed. Got Error: ageneral system error occurred: Internal error.

But I should have over 300 GB space free on it.

Does someone konw how to fix this?

Thanks

0 Kudos
30 Replies
SuryaVMware
Expert
Expert

My bad. !! I didn't pay enough attention to notice it is ESXi server. However, what I intend to see is if we have enough space on the VMFS volume.

There are times that the VI client reports the free space on the VMFS volume wrong.

Please use df -h as suggested by Dave, instead of vdf -h and let us know if you have enough free space on the volume.

-Surya

0 Kudos
HaiGe
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks, Surya and Dave,

I attached the sreenshot of df -h. It showed disk usage was about 1023 GB.

I am sure there is more space on the HD. This is a Dell powerEdge 2950 with 6 X 300 GB disks. I used raid 5. It should have 1.3 TB.

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

The image posted does not show your VMFS, from what I see. This does not appear to be an image from the ESXi's console, but instead from the vm itself. Is that correct? You'll need to post an image from the ESXi storage screen, or by running 'df -h' from the ESXi support console.

-KjB

VMware vExpert

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
0 Kudos
HaiGe
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you KjB,

please see the new attach.

0 Kudos
SuryaVMware
Expert
Expert

You are trying to grow the VMDK exactly to the available disk space on the VMFS volume.

Try a smaller size leave about 300 MB of free space for the VMFS metadata. you should be fine.

Hope this helps.

-Surya

0 Kudos
HaiGe
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you Surya,

It would not let me increase any space over 1024GB. Even just 1GB more. That is why I stay on 1023GB.

Now the 1024 GB is the limit.

0 Kudos
HaiGe
Contributor
Contributor

0 Kudos
SuryaVMware
Expert
Expert

Alright, Can you post the /var/log/message from the ESXi server?

I sure see that the VMFS volume is 8 MB block size in the screeshot, but it is behaving as if it is a 4MB block size volume.

Also, if you are planning to post the message file please run vmkfstools -P before you copy the file.

Please note that the above command will not write any information on screen but will dump the information on /var/log/message

-Surya

0 Kudos
HaiGe
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Surya,

I attached the last part of the messages. It is a large file. I do not know how to export it. This just a screenshot.

If you need more, please let me know.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
johnlennon
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have the same situation with a VMDK on a 2 TB LUN and 1.1 TB LUN. I was able to incrase the size gradually up to 1023 but not beyond this, not even a mere 1 GB. No snapshots for this VM, there is plenty of free disk space (100 GB in one case, 900 GB on the other) and the VMFS is using 8 MB block size.

I'm running ESX 3.5 with all the patches released as of end of May 2009.

0 Kudos
johnlennon
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I found a w/a, which proves this is a bug with VC:

from the directory of the VM, as root I ran:

vmkfstools -X 1070G GH-PHDD-BZ1.vmdk

and now my VMDK is indeed 1070 GB.

0 Kudos