VMware Cloud Community
bretti
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Mass Deployments of ESX 3i Installable

I was wondering what is the preferred or best practice procedure to do mass deployments of ESX 3i installable host servers. I'm looking for some level of automation to configure NTP, Networks, VLANs, etc.

Is a post install script the only way?

Can I use the vicfg-cfgbackup --force --load command to restore a generic configuration to multiple servers?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ocremel
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

It is not recommended. It may work if your servers are really alike hardware-wise but at this time the best way is to use explicit scripting as mentionned above.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
R0v3r
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I know there are some powerful things you can do with the VI-Toolkit, Windows Powershell and PowerGUI (these 3 tools are used together). Just a few things are create networks, VM's, add/remove devices. Check out the blog here http://blogs.vmware.com/vipowershell/.

Not sure if all you need done can be accomplished through Powershell, but worth a look.

bretti
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

That is a terrific tool. Thank you for pointing it out.

I guess I'm wondering if forcing a restore of a saved configuration onto different hardware is a good way of deploying multiple hosts? Specifically using the vicfg-cfgbackup command with the --force option.

0 Kudos
ocremel
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

It is not recommended. It may work if your servers are really alike hardware-wise but at this time the best way is to use explicit scripting as mentionned above.

0 Kudos
bretti
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Thank you. I will be scripting it to be on the safe side then.

0 Kudos