VMware Cloud Community
jaivmw
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Managing ESXi for free

Is there any GUI / Web based tool one can use to manage a single host with the free ESXi 3.5 U3?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

When you signed up to download ESXi you should have received a serial number (if not go here - https://www.vmware.com/tryvmware/?p=esxi). In the VI client, go to Configuration \ Licensing and enter your serial number. That will take it out of eval mode.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
giuseppe121
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

yes,

open your browser and download the esxi client infrastraction on the esxi intalled.

0 Kudos
mmurrin
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes you can use the VI 3 client to manage ESXi just like how you can manage a normal ESX server with out Virtual Center. Also a nice feature of ESXi is the VMware Inferstructure Update Client. This allows you to update ESXi easily through a GUI.

0 Kudos
jaivmw
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi sorry for delayed response Christmas etc - I tried what you suggested and it worked however it still thinks it is an evaluation - possibly because I first installed the internet download version that comes with standard ESX.

I did uninstall the internet version 1st before downloading from my ESXi server

Any ideas on how to get a clean non evluation version onto my managment PC?

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

When you signed up to download ESXi you should have received a serial number (if not go here - https://www.vmware.com/tryvmware/?p=esxi). In the VI client, go to Configuration \ Licensing and enter your serial number. That will take it out of eval mode.

0 Kudos
Formatter
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Dave:

That link doesn't work I dont know the proper link?

Oppsi sorry from within here it does but not from an email

0 Kudos
jaivmw
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I found this out myelf before seeing your answer.

The settings link to input the serial number wasn't obvious at first as it wass off screen - had to scroll right before I found it - Need to adjsut my screen res

Thanks for your correct answer.

0 Kudos