VMware Cloud Community
gregwatson
Contributor
Contributor

Management of HP ESX 3i on proliant server

Hi folks.

We have been trying out ESX 3i on a proliant server. Initially - since I didn't know about the HP version - I installed the vanilla ESX 3i installable on the proliant server (via CDROM) and got everything running. Seemed to work fine, except I couldn't install the HP Proliant Support Pack because the hardware reported itself as "Vmware ESX" and not "HP Proliant". That's how I eventually found te ESX 3i for HP download.

So I downloaded the ISO image for ESX3i for HP, and installed it. Initially the virtual machines had disappeared - I can go into details if anyone would find that useful - but now the VMs are back and running again. And now the proliant support pack DOES install, which is great.

At least - SOME of it installs. It seems to get hung up complaining that certain drivers relating to the iLo card are not installed, and when I try and install those manually I get an error message saying that the hardware was not present. So although I've got a lot closer, I still can't get the HP management agents working (nor can I access the ACU)

Has anyone else dealt with this?

The PSP version is 8.0.0a (for x64), installed via the HP Smart update manager, and the guest OS onto which I am trying to install the HP management agents is Windows Server 2003 x64.

TIA

Greg

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

guest OS onto which I am trying to install the HP management agents is Windows Server 2003 x64.

The guest VMs won't be able to see aspect of the hardware ESXi is running on as ESX will present a virtual set of hardware to the VM. Here's a good thread to look at regarding monitoring ESXi hosts on HP servers.

http://communities.vmware.com/message/990012

0 Kudos
gregwatson
Contributor
Contributor

Wow, fast response - thanks.

I thought that was the whole point of the "HP version" of the 3i installable - that it provided the necessary interface to support the HP Insight Management Agents? That's exactly what it's for, surely?

The HP Insight Management Agents - specifically - are one of the packages that won't install... Although the PSP does at least start to install now, which it didn't do before - so it has certainly seen some change in the underlying virtual hardware...

ETA: in case it's relevant, here is the error I get trying to install the Management Agents:

Installation for "HP Insight Management Agents for Windows Server 2003/2008 x64 Editions" requires one or more of the following that is not currently installed or in the install set:

- HP ProLiant Advanced System Management Controller Driver for Windows

- HP ProLiant iLO Advanced and Enhanced System Management Controller Driver for Windows

- HP ProLiant iLO 2 Management Controller Driver for Windows

Andwhen I try to install some of these manually, they say the hardware is not present.. so I'm stuck...

In fact - checking the ESX 3i update 1 release notes here: http://www.vmware.com/support/vi3/doc/vi3_esx3i_i_35u1_vc25u1_rel_notes.html

I see that update 1 officially supports hp insight manager 8.0

so I shoudl be able to do what I am tryign to do. Except it doesn't work...

Message was edited by: gregwatson

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

I thought that was the whole point of the "HP version" of the 3i installable - that it provided the necessary interface to support the HP Insight Management Agents? That's exactly what it's for, surely?

The HP version provides customized setting for CIM which you would then use to monitor the host. But as mentioned on the other thread, it's not comparable to the agent you would install for regular ESX.

Installation for "HP Insight Management Agents for Windows Server 2003/2008 x64 Editions" requires one or more of the following that is not currently installed or in the install set:

The VMs won't be able to access the hardware that ESXi is running on so the iLO / management drivers won't do any good installed in a VM.

I see that update 1 officially supports hp insight manager 8.0

Yes, but you'll be using CIM to access the ESXi host and you won't install an agent on the host for this.

0 Kudos