VMware Cloud Community
grabraham
Contributor
Contributor

Management interface

I setup ESXI on a Dell SC 800 and all was well- I setup a couple of VMs etc.. then I moved the server to another section of the building and I cannot get the management interface to respond at all. I plugged it into the net and it would not pull a DHCP addy, then I reconfiged with a static IP and no dice, checked the cable (plugged my laptop into the cable and can see the net) then I threw a crossover between my laptop and the management interface and I cant ping it and it cant ping the laptop using the test managemnt interface from the console.

Yeah wierd ... any thoughts?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

Perhaps the NIC in the ESXi is having a problem negotiating a speed with the switch. When you're at the console, press F2 and you can test the management network.

Also you can try this at the console

1) Press ALT-F1

2) on the console screen type in "unsupported" and hit enter. You won't see unsupported echoed to the screen, but if you try it in right (without the quotes ) you'll get a password prompt.

3) enter the root password

4) type in the command esxcfg-nics -l

What output do you get?

0 Kudos
grabraham
Contributor
Contributor

I moved the server back up to my desk so it is plugged into the switch that it was plugged into this morning (working) and it still does not appear to see the network

Output of esxcfg-nics -l

vmnic1 04:00.00 tg3 Up 100Mbps Full 1500 Broadcom corporation NetXtreme BCM5721 Gigabit Ehternet

vmnic0 03:02.200 e100 Up 100Mbps Full 1500 Intel Corporation EtherExpress Pro/100+ Management Adapter

0 Kudos
grabraham
Contributor
Contributor

I booted from the CD and did a 'repair' of the esxi install and the network is back. Going to try and move the server again

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

Before you do, have you made any changes with the virtual networking? I would suggest adding vmnic1 (the broadcom) to vswitch0 (you could optionally take vmnic0 out of it). By default only vmnic0 would be in vswitch0.

0 Kudos