VMware Cloud Community
brainkiller
Contributor
Contributor

Lost Datastore after frimware update to ESXi 3.5 update 5

Hi,

i have a serious problem, last night after frimware update from ESXi 3.5 U4 to ESXi 3.5 U5 i lost my datastore1 created from 3 hdd. i still see my second datastore created from 1 hdd and my ESXi boots from its USB flash drive as usual. In Storadge Adapters i can see all attached devices. Is there some way to recover the datastore or at least the data from that 3 HDDs

P.S i try LVM.Enable.Resignature without any success ;-(

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
marcelo_soares
Champion
Champion

Hmmm... try leaving the enableResignature in 0 and placing the disallowSnapshotLun on 0 also. Perform a rescan.

If this do not work, tell us. (I kind of doubt it will work, but try anyway)

Marcelo Soares

VMWare Certified Professional 310/410

Technical Support Engineer

Globant Argentina

Marcelo Soares
0 Kudos
brainkiller
Contributor
Contributor

just try to change both to 0 and done the Rescan. Unfortunately it did not help ;-(.

I also notised that if i try to add datastorage manualy device vmhda33:0:0 said: Unable to read partition information from this disk.

0 Kudos
marcelo_soares
Champion
Champion

Ok, seems you loose the partitions from this disk. Try entering in unsupported mode (alt+f1 on the physical console, and type the word "unsupported", and after the root password).

See if you have the fdisk command (I am not sure it is present on ESXi), and perform a fdisk -l. It will show you all your devices, check which one returns an error.

After that, perform a fdisk /dev/sdX (which is on error) and hit simply the "w" character to re-write the partition table. Test after that.

Marcelo Soares

VMWare Certified Professional 310/410

Technical Support Engineer

Globant Argentina

Marcelo Soares
0 Kudos