VMware Cloud Community
jmarket
Contributor
Contributor

Looking to move from Vmware Server to ESXi

I am looking to move from vmware server to esxi and have a few questions. We currently have about 7 virtual machines and none of them use pre-allocated disks. I have read that esxi requires the use of pre-allocated disks. I have also read that I can use vmware converter to convert my existing vms to esxi.

Will vmware converter allow me to choose the size of the pre-allocated disk during the conversion of my existing vms?

I am planning on purchasing a new HP server so would you suggest the embedded version of esxi? I will be using local storage for my vms if that matters.

With vmware server I have a batch file that I schedule to run that stops each vm, copies vm to backup drive, and restarts each vm. What would be the easiest way to accomplish this task with esxi? I do have backup agents that run inside the vms for backups but like to make images every so often.

Thanks for your help in advance

0 Kudos
6 Replies
java_cat33
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi,

Yes VMware Converter allows you to change the size of the disk when you import it into ESX.

I assume you are looking at using the free version of ESXi? Local storage is not a problem if you are only going to have one ESX server.

Take a look at this thread for a free ESXi backup solution

0 Kudos
jmarket
Contributor
Contributor

Will Vmware Converter allow me to convert my currenty vmware server vms to esxi while they are running or will I have to shutdown the vms durning the conversion process?

0 Kudos
java_cat33
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Yes you can do it while the VM's are online

0 Kudos
tragopan
Contributor
Contributor

I found it much simpler and faster to convert when powered down.

However, part of my problem was that I started with Server then Server 2.0 Beta then Server 2 - each time I 'upgraded' the installer created new vmx files...so I had three sets of files...converter did the job nicely to ESXi.

Average VM was 40gig and it did it over a gigabit NIC averaging 17 minutes per VM.

0 Kudos
jmarket
Contributor
Contributor

To convert online do I need to run vmware converter on the vmware server or can I run it from a seperate workstation?

0 Kudos
jmarket
Contributor
Contributor

17 min sounds good. What was the time you had trying to convert while they were online? Did you run the converter from the vmware server or copy the vm to a different workstation and convert from there?

0 Kudos