VMware Cloud Community
Tekoloshe
Contributor
Contributor

Local HD or USB storagedevice?

Hi everybody,

I am quite new to VMware so I need your advice.

We are planning a cluster of 2 ESXi Host connected to a Storage via iSCSI. The VMs on that cluster will not be under very heavy load.

My Question is know, is it suffient to have a simple storage device like an USB Stick to run the ESXi or would you recommend to have local HDs?

Thank you for your help!

Best regards!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
suprauche
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello,

If that will be a production environment, i would strongly recommend you to use at least a local storage with some raid configuration. You know there are some restrictions and customizations you should do like - adjusting the timeout value not to sleep the usb device if it becomes idle -. Also you could see high i/o wait times. Another problem is safety of your data. How can you tolerate and recover your data if your usb disk just crashes?

Finally, it works, but i do not recommend it surely.

Tekoloshe
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you, I will consider that !

What about SWAP, does ESXi need / uses local SWAP.

0 Kudos
suprauche
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

ESXi works without swap space but If you do not configure it, then you won't able to join your ESXi to a HA cluster. You can store those swap files within the existing vmfs datastores.

Best Regards,

Texiwill
Leadership
Leadership

Hello,

Moved to ESXi forum as this is an ESXi specific question.

Best regards,
Edward L. Haletky
VMware Communities User Moderator
====
Author of the book 'VMWare ESX Server in the Enterprise: Planning and Securing Virtualization Servers', Copyright 2008 Pearson Education.
Blue Gears and SearchVMware Pro Blogs -- Top Virtualization Security Links -- Virtualization Security Round Table Podcast

--
Edward L. Haletky
vExpert XIV: 2009-2023,
VMTN Community Moderator
vSphere Upgrade Saga: https://www.astroarch.com/blogs
GitHub Repo: https://github.com/Texiwill
0 Kudos