VMware Cloud Community
ietres
Contributor
Contributor

Little freezes on my ESXi Server, please help!

I have a problem with my server, last week i virtualizated my server in wich i have fulltime database acces with some clients and i got this problems:

Sometimes aleatory it stops responding, it happen about 2-3 times a day, but when it happens everyone gets disconected and lose their work, i need a solution as soon as possible.

Thanks a lot!!!

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Rodos
Expert
Expert

Can you describe your setup some more? What server are you running, how much RAM, what storage? Whats the configuration of the VM, what OS? Do you have any other VMs running, what are they doing? Anything in the log files for the ESX or the VM? Can you access the machine when this occurs? Its usually a guest issue.

Rodos

Consider the use of the helpful or correct buttons to award points. Blog: http://rodos.haywood.org/

Rodos {size:10px}{color:gray}Consider the use of the helpful or correct buttons to award points. Blog: http://rodos.haywood.org/{color}{size}
0 Kudos
NTurnbull
Expert
Expert

Hi Following on from what Rodos asked, how many physical CPU's does the host have and how many virtual CPU's are allocated to each vm?

Thanks,

Neil

Thanks, Neil
0 Kudos
ietres
Contributor
Contributor

Ok.. first of all thank you for interesting in my problem.

Hardware Platform:

Server ACER ALTOS RT720 (VMware Certified) with ESXi Installed

2x Xeon E5420 (2x 4cores)

10GB Ram

HD: 2x 300GB SAS Seagate RAID1

Virtual Machines:

I have just 1 vm running now with a windows 2003 server.

Resources: 4vcpu's and 4 gb ram.

The problem in the screenshots is the same in the vm performance chart as in the global performance chart.

Thanks again!

0 Kudos
ietres
Contributor
Contributor

I also have taken a look to the vmware.log file and there's nothing at error's time. These are the last lines (today):

Dec 23 07:47:35.591: mks| SOCKET 13 recv error 5: Input/output error

Dec 23 07:47:35.594: mks| SOCKET 13 destroying VNC backend on socket error: 5

Dec 23 07:49:27.387: mks| SOCKET 14 recv error 5: Input/output error

Dec 23 07:49:27.387: mks| SOCKET 14 destroying VNC backend on socket error: 5

Dec 23 07:55:16.376: mks| SOCKET 15 recv error 5: Input/output error

Dec 23 07:55:16.376: mks| SOCKET 15 destroying VNC backend on socket error: 5

Dec 23 08:09:38.473: mks| SOCKET 16 recv error 5: Input/output error

Dec 23 08:09:38.484: mks| SOCKET 16 destroying VNC backend on socket error: 5

Dec 23 08:46:29.002: vcpu-0| CDROM: Emulate GET CONFIGURATION RT 2 start feature 0

Dec 23 10:50:46.500: mks| SOCKET 17 recv error 5: Input/output error

Dec 23 10:50:46.504: mks| SOCKET 17 destroying VNC backend on socket error: 5

Dec 23 11:47:27.403: mks| SOCKET 18 recv error 5: Input/output error

Dec 23 11:47:27.412: mks| SOCKET 18 destroying VNC backend on socket error: 5

Dec 23 12:02:35.968: mks| SOCKET 19 recv error 5: Input/output error

Dec 23 12:02:35.968: mks| SOCKET 19 destroying VNC backend on socket error: 5

0 Kudos
Formatter
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The only thought I have is that giving it 4 VCPU's may be giving you some grief.. Cut to one or maybe two and then it can more redily choost what cores it is using.. What else other then the database is running on this server. What database is it?

0 Kudos
ietres
Contributor
Contributor

I tried to run just with 1 vcpu, and the problems remain. Now i'm installing another virtual machine to see if the problem is just in my server vm or in the whole system. If you have any other suggestion i would be very grateful to hear them.

Thanks a lot.

0 Kudos
Formatter
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Have you left all the defaults for theserver itself? ease off on the ram per vm, is the cpu health ok and all that in the configuration health status section. Is it possibly the VM machine thats having the problem and not the ESXI?

Networking seems ok when not hung?

0 Kudos
bpatterson
Contributor
Contributor

I had the same problem on an Acer R720 and Acer R520.

I fixed the Acer R720 by updating to the latest BIOS and installing the latest VMWare Patches (VMWare 3.5.0 Build 120505).

The Acer R520 I have done the same but has not fixed the issue. I have kept updating it but it still freezes.

0 Kudos
ietres
Contributor
Contributor

I think i found the solution by myself, i don't know what was the main problem, but now it works perfectly.

What i've done?

I reinstalled ESX3i from the beggining, and after that i created a new virtual machine with the vmdk files i had, i said created because i didn't imported old vmx files, just virtual hds in a new machine.

On the beggining i used vmware converter to create virtual machine from a physical one, and then i just imported the full virtual machine with the vmx file created with de converter, maybe was there the problem, i don't know, but if anyone have the same problem at least have something to test, if it worked for me, it may work for others.

Thanks again to all the people interested in my thread.

0 Kudos
SelvaMK
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

I was investigating the same error in my machine, Reinstalling the tools did the trick

- Selva

0 Kudos