VMware Cloud Community
TahoeTech
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Licensing question: ESX Server 3i --- isn't it free?

So I have been playing with the 60day trial of Infrastructure here at the office and we really like it, we just don't have the budget for it right now - BUT I don't want that to stop us from at least beginning to implement it...

I have read that the ESXi is free, so I want to install that on all of our production servers and begin to populate them with VMs while we wait for approval for infrastructure licenses...

I installed ESXi on our first server, opened my browser and went to the IP address of the ESXi host and downloaded the VI Client 2.5 but when the window opened it says "60 day evaluation"??? I do NOT want to risk getting locked out or violating license requirements when 60 days is up so can anyone please tell me how I go about using ESXi and the VI Client 2.5 for free???

Do I need to apply for a free license somehow????

Thank You!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The default licensing mode for an ESXi install is a 60 day eval. When you signed up for the free download, you would have gotten a license serial or an email to activate your license. (after which you would have that serial number). Go to Configuration \ Licensed Features and add the serial number. Then you'll be free license mode. There is no license component to the VI client itself.

VMware does have a special on right now in which you get vCenter Foundation and 3 VC agents so that you can manage up to 3 ESXi hosts for $500 US until the end of April in case you're looking to add vCenter.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The default licensing mode for an ESXi install is a 60 day eval. When you signed up for the free download, you would have gotten a license serial or an email to activate your license. (after which you would have that serial number). Go to Configuration \ Licensed Features and add the serial number. Then you'll be free license mode. There is no license component to the VI client itself.

VMware does have a special on right now in which you get vCenter Foundation and 3 VC agents so that you can manage up to 3 ESXi hosts for $500 US until the end of April in case you're looking to add vCenter.

0 Kudos
TahoeTech
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks Dave!

0 Kudos
Jackobli
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

VMware does have a special on right now in which you get vCenter Foundation and 3 VC agents so that you can manage up to 3 ESXi hosts for $500 US until the end of April

Hi Dave, is the special bound a "secret", one has to enter for buying at this price? I didn't found this special.

Months ago I bought Workstation with such a special and key (like happyholidays or something else).

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Here are the links and just to be clear you get vCenter Foundation and 3 agent licenses. I don't think you get Update Manager or VCB as you would with vCenter Foundation and VI Foundation licenses, but I'm not sure.

http://vmware.com/vmwarestore/esxi_management_kit_promo_terms.html?src=EM_09Q1_VMW_0THER_ESXI-PROMO-...

http://store.vmware.com/servlet/ControllerServlet?Action=DisplayPage&Env=BASE&Locale=en_US&SiteID=vm...

0 Kudos
christianZ
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Costs 1000$ and is limited to Nord America only.

0 Kudos
TahoeTech
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The cost is not $1000, it is $495 according to Daves links...

DAVE, I wonder if you could tell me --- with this kit; do I get to use storage vmotion? What about HA and DRS (although I assume these cost extra?)

0 Kudos
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

From the ESXi Management Kit description:

The ESXi Management Kit includes:

• vCenter Server Foundation

• vCenter Agents for 3 hosts

• 1 year software subscription

• Limited for use with 3 ESXi hosts

Looking at this chart: http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=100654...

Foundation does not include HA/VMotion (which also gives SVMotion)

=========================================================================

William Lam

VMware vExpert 2009

VMware ESX/ESXi scripts and resources at:

0 Kudos
christianZ
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Sorry, indeed the "Promotion kit" costs 495$ (the normal version costs 1000$).

0 Kudos