VMware Cloud Community
grealish
Contributor
Contributor

Licence Question for ESXi host in VC

Hi, I have 3 ESXi 3.5 hosts that i just added to VC, however one of them has 2x Quad core CPU's as in 8 logical processors, in the screenshot attached does my ESX host have sufficent licencing to make use of all it's hardware,

Also I registered to evalute the Vm Infra with VC for 60days, and added that Licence # to it

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

it is socket count not core count so you quad core CPU is counted a single socket therefore needs 2 CPU licenses. you need a ESX icense for each 2 CPU

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

Tom Howarth VCP / vExpert

VMware Communities User Moderator

Blog: www.planetvm.net

Contributing author for the upcoming book "VMware Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment”.

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
VMware Communities User Moderator
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos
tlindi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You do know that ESXi hosts need vCenter license?

Quote from

How do I use VMware vCenter Server to manage my VMware ESXi hosts?

VMware vCenter Server provides centralized management for ESXi hosts and their virtual machines. To manage an ESXi host with vCenter Server, you must have a vCenter Server Agent license, which is included in all editions of VMware vSphere.

</dd>

0 Kudos