VMware Cloud Community
V1GG3N
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

LUN Mapping Question

Greetings Community, I have a rather bizarre question that I'm hoping one of you can help me with.

We have an ESXi (3.5 U4) server hosting a Windws 2003 Server running SQL 2005. This VM is using the Microsoft iSCSI Initiator to directly map LUNs from our iSCSI storage device for the SQL data and logs volumes. We know this is not the most effecient way to accomplish this, hence the following question:

If we shutdown the VM and and change the LUNs to RDMs to present directly to the guest will we lose the data on them? Will Windows recognize the new drives correctly?

Thanks very much for the help

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
depping
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

You will not lose any data. just remove it and add it. Windows should just recognize it again without any issues.

Duncan

VMware Communities User Moderator | VCP | VCDX

-

Blogging:

Twitter:

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
mvarre
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Think of the volume as being a usb stick. you're just plugging it into a new port by un-initiating it from ms software initiator and RDM'ing it. just dont do anything to the volume itself on the san.

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

You will not lose any data. just remove it and add it. Windows should just recognize it again without any issues.

Duncan

VMware Communities User Moderator | VCP | VCDX

-

Blogging:

Twitter:

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

0 Kudos
mvarre
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

but remember, never make any major changes without first getting a valid backup. i dont care how simple the change your making is...make the backup.

0 Kudos
V1GG3N
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you for the helpful info - I'll be sure to award points once I've had a chance to test this... after a full backup, of course.

0 Kudos
mvarre
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

i didnt mean to preach, but i made that mistake over the weekend and i thought i'd do my part to implore you do not make the mistake i made 😕

0 Kudos
V1GG3N
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

No worries, we've all been there (too many times). I consider it an oportunity to audit our SQL backups. Thanks again

0 Kudos
V1GG3N
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Made the change this past weekend and everything worked like a charm. Thanks agian for all the help

0 Kudos