VMware Cloud Community
JTBOSTON
Contributor
Contributor

Keep losing console and ping connection to 1 VM. Rest work fine

I have 3 VMs running on ESXi. All working fine for the last 3 months. All of a sudden now, I keep losing console connection to one of the VMs and if I have a ping -t command going to the same VM, it keeps timing out also. Strange, anyone know a reason and/or solution? Thanks

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

are the VMware Tools current on this particular VM? If it's a windows box have you check event viewer for any errors, ensured you power settings were disabled?

JTBOSTON
Contributor
Contributor

Yes windows 03 box. VMware tools are installed. I cant move around in the console, it quickly disconnects me. Cant RDP to it either, loses connection.

Attached is a screenshot with pings going. All on the same physical box, same physical nic.

.10 is the ESXi server

.3 is server1

.4 is server2 (the ones with the problem)

.6 is server3

0 Kudos
norregaard
Expert
Expert

When you open a console to the VM, then do you receive an error when it disconnects or does it just close down? Do you know if the OS in the VM is actually running?

JTBOSTON
Contributor
Contributor

I dont get an error, it just freezes on the console. I can move around then when the pings stop, it just freezes. I'm sure the OS is still runninng, because after the pings start, I can start where it left off before it froze.

0 Kudos
JTBOSTON
Contributor
Contributor

A reboot of the VMware machine fixed the issue. Everything is working now. Still curious why this happened and if it can be prevented in the future. I just purchased platinum support and will post here if they have an answer.

Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

glad to see you got it resolved!

please consider the use of the "correct" or "helpful" buttons if you fee any information provided was useful

0 Kudos