VMware Cloud Community
malarie
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Just Installed vmware ESXi 4.0.0. Also have Workstation 6.5 I have some questions here..

Good day, I am new to vmware esxi and to virtualization in general..

I installed esxi server 4.0. and I want to host a couple vms on this server. I have tried the ViCLient and really love it. But this client is a 60 days trial and it costs 1000$ per licence as i understand..

I also have the Vmware workstation 6.5 software.

My main goal for this is to be able to import and export vms on the esxi, create snapshots, export these snapshots, etc.. I am not too familiar with Workstation 6.5 as well , but so far it gets the job done in terms of exporting and imprting vms to/from the ESXi. But I would like to be able to browse the DataStore, create vms on the esxi without having to create them locally AND export them to ESXi..

I'd like to be able to create, manage, copy, create and import/export snapshots, to/from the esxi but i guess you cannot do all this stuff using VmWare Workstation ? I'd buy the Vsphere CLient, but i am not the one who has a hand on the IT budget..

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

When you log in to download ESXi you license number is displayed toward the top of the page. Enter that number in the vSphere client Configuration Tab under Licensing.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Welcoem to the Forums - Not sure what you are asking but ESXi is free - if you register your ESXi server on the VMware website you will receive a valid license that wil not expire and at no cost - the vSphere Client (the VI Client on vSphere) is not seperate software it is part of ESXi - so if you license your ESXi software you will be able to use ESXi and the vSphere client

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
malarie
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I know ESxi is free, but not sure about the Client.. When I log on the web page of the server, i can Download the vsphere Client (stored lcoally on the esxi)

Problem is everytime I start the vsphere Client, I got a message saying that the software will expire in 60 day unless I activate it. I go to the website, and I cant find any way to activate it. Just links to download the files.. Im not receiving an activation emails too.

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

When you log in to download ESXi you license number is displayed toward the top of the page. Enter that number in the vSphere client Configuration Tab under Licensing.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You need to register your ESXi product here - https://www.vmware.com/tryvmware/index.php?p=free-esxi-go&lp=1

malarie
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks. I got it Smiley Happy

I apreciate the quick help.

0 Kudos