VMware Cloud Community
vite1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Is there a way to connect an external USB HD to my host?

I have a Dell Power Edge 2850 which I have my ESXi host installed on: I was wondering is there anyway to connect and utilize a USB HD on my system. I wanted to be able to use it as backup. Can I get any of my guests to see it if I can't get my host? I'm not using a SAN. I just have the ESXi host installed on this server where I have a small partition for my host and the remainder 800GB for my VM guests. This is just a test environment.

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
lmonaco
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

It's not supported. VMware recommends AnywhereUSB.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
12 Replies
lmonaco
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

It's not supported. VMware recommends AnywhereUSB.

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

As the other poster indicated ESX and ESXi does not support the access to USB disk drives - the only to make it accessible to the VMs via an IP based USB hib like Digi's USBAnywhere -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
guyrleech
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

You can mount a FAT32 formatted USB hard drive in ESX (it automatically creates the /dev nodes and you just use the regular "mount" command) but this does not work in ESXi, primarily as it does not appear to create the /dev nodes although it does see the arrival of the USB device if you look in the logs.

-- If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or Correct buttons to award points.
vite1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

thank you Imonaco

0 Kudos
vite1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks Weinstein5

0 Kudos
vite1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Is there a way to integrate a command line console with the ESXi server?

Thanks for your help as well guyrleech.

0 Kudos
guyrleech
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Unsupported, but it can be done:

SSH can be enabled too but again is unsupported.

-- If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or Correct buttons to award points.
0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

There actually is a virtual appliance you can download form vmware called the RCLI - Remote CLI - this will give you a service console command line access to your ESXi host -

Don't forget to award points for answers that you found helpful or correct by marking the answer helpful or correct

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
vite1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks Weinstein5. Do you think once I'm in by command line that I would be able to mount this USB drive?

0 Kudos
vite1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks guyrleech, I will check this out.

0 Kudos
vite1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Weinstein5,

About the award points thing, I haven't read up on that with this discussion board and all. I clicked on helpful answer or correct answer I think. I guess I better read up on this as I still haven't had anyone reply to my previous problems. Thanks again for your help.

0 Kudos
vite1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Are you able to use the CLI client on ESXi and mount a usb HD connected to the host machine? What is the best Doc on using the CLI client?

0 Kudos