VMware Cloud Community
gsfdajewgp
Contributor
Contributor

Is it Possible to migrate your Vi3 u4 to another server?

Is it Possible to migrate your Vi3 u4 to another server? I

have searches Google and Bing and this forum (community) and find nothing that

is even close.

I have a Vi3 that I migrated P2v from an OEM XP box (I know,

I’m doomed...I learned the perils of M$ licensing too late) so I have 20 days

left to migrate my Vi3 server to another XP or 2k3 box. Is it possible or do I

have to reinstall all over again like whenever I make ANY mistake in Vi3?

Also, another question for my future reference, I am

currently in a small environment, say 150 VM's, I will be going up to over

1000. I understand the SQL installed by Vi3 is not robust enough to handle the

1000, so is there some way to migrate what I have in the "SQL

current" to say an oracle or another SQL DB that can handle it?

“Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!"
0 Kudos
9 Replies
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

I don't understand. ESXi does not run on windows. It is installed on physical hardware. If you are referring to VMware server, which does run on windows, it is possible to migrate the virtual machines to another VMware server or ESXi server. You can use the downloadable VMware converter to copy the virtual machines to a new installation.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

The second part of your question deserves some additional attention. Actually your first part does too. I would make a call to VMware sales of if you have someone local. Get some on site professional advice and planning. If you do have 150 virtual machines you will want to make sure you don't risk loosing anything.

0 Kudos
gsfdajewgp
Contributor
Contributor

QUOTE>I don't understand. ESXi does not run on windows.

Vi3 is not ESXi it is Virtual Infrastructure 3 which ONLY installs on 2k3 or XP.

(This post was supposed to be under VMware Infrastructure. I don't know how it got under VMware Infrastructure>ESXi 3.5 ??)

“Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!"
0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

Virtual infrastructure does not install on windows at all. If you are talking about the VI client then you can just install it on another machine and connect to your servers.

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

Virtual Center??

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

0 Kudos
gsfdajewgp
Contributor
Contributor

Last week it was called Virtual Infrastructure 3 (Vi3), this week it is called Virtual Center, and next week it will be called vSphere.

When we bought it it was called Vi3.

I Guess VMware Doesn't see the confusion caused by changing the name of everything every week Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

Virtual Infrastructure is the overall product class. The individual tools go by their own names. vCenter is the central management server. The Vi client is the tool you use to connect to the vCenter server. ESX and ESXi are the host operating systems.

0 Kudos
gsfdajewgp
Contributor
Contributor

Funny, when this thread statred you didn't know the difference between Vi3 an ESXi. Now you think you can school me on what Vi3 is or isn't?? I have work to do, I'm not spending more of my time teaching you the history, nomenclature and architecture of Virtual Infrastructue 3 (which IS NOT a cient!)

0 Kudos