VMware Cloud Community
dirkce
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Is OS X Server under ESXi running on a Mac supported?

The ESXi documentation links to a Guest OS Guide PDF that includes OS X Server.

Is this a supported configuration?

I am looking for a solution for small scale software tesitng that can virtualize both OS X Server and Windows Server on the same machine.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The official answer is in the HCL for ESXi, which does not show OS X server, indicating it is not supported.

--Matt

VCP, vExpert, Unix Geek

--Matt VCDX #52 blog.cowger.us

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Whether it is possible or not I couldn't say but it wouldn't work with Apple's EULA. It specifically prohibits installing on NON Apple hardware. That would make it a non supported configuration. The Guest OS install guide is a VMware general guide and includes all versions. It would be about Fusion and installing Server as a VM on Fusion.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I'm not seeing that in the current guide:

http://www.vmware.com/pdf/GuestOS_guide.pdf

if its not in the Guide, its not supported....additionally, apple's EULA make sit clear that you can ONLY virtualize OS X on apple hardware.

--Matt

VCP, vExpert, Unix Geek

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You would be fine running Windows Server and OS X server on Apple Hardware using Fusion.

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Page 42 of the Guide does show OS X but for Fusion.

dirkce
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I would be running it on Mac hardware, and the Apple EULA permits virtualizing OS X Server, so I don't have any question whether it is legal, only whether it is supported.

On further reading I see that, as you note, the the OS X Server installation instructions in the Guest OS Guide linked from the ESXi documentation appear to be installation instructions under VMWare Fusion. This appears to be a generic guide and not specific to ESXi.

However, that it is linked from the ESXi documentation is confusing. Forum searches have lead me in conflicting directions. I'll wait for a cite of an official answer whether or not this is supported.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The official answer is in the HCL for ESXi, which does not show OS X server, indicating it is not supported.

--Matt

VCP, vExpert, Unix Geek

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The OS install guide is a consolidated publication that references all VMware products with specific instalation instructions. The instructions in the guide are specific to Fusion and OS X..

Check to see if your hardware

is on the Hardware Compatibility List.

Check the same list for guest OS support and ESXi.

You can always set it up and try it.

coax_k
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Not sure if I'm reading this thread right but anyway, has anyone got OSX running in ESX/i at all?

0 Kudos
dirkce
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you. I see that it is not in the HCL. This answers my question.

I will go with VMWare Fusion as I need a supported configuration.

0 Kudos