VMware Cloud Community
jimmyc11
Contributor
Contributor

Intermittent Connection Problems

Hi,

I've been using ESX Server 3i 3.5.0 build 123629 for a while now with some success. The only problem I have is every so often, (could be every hour, or every few hours), the server freezes up and won't let anyone connect, either by calling an API or connecting using the VI client.

The load on the server does not seem to matter, I've seen it occur when 6 connections are present, and when just 1 is present.

The problem then just seems to resolve itself, and allows connections as normal after a minute or two, (but not before disrupting things that were already running on the server)

Has anybody else had similiar problems, this is driving me nuts.

Thanks,

JC

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
rlee
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I haven't run ESXi personally. Could this be the result of a network speed/duplex mismatch? Can you access via ssh when api access fails? Can you telnet to 902, 22?

Can you try hard coding the speed duplex settings?

Although you should have to do this, I have seen cases where I had to hard code this information in order to get my nics working correctly. esxcfg-nics -s 1000 -d full vmnicXX, where vmnicXX is the NIC for your Service Console.

0 Kudos
Scissor
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Is someone working with large snapshots on your ESXi server? I've found that deleting a large snapshot from the VI Client will cause my VI Client to hang (and prevent other VI Clients from connecting) until the snapshot operation completes. However, running Guests don't seem to be affected.

0 Kudos