VMware Cloud Community
cucocuco1000
Contributor
Contributor

Intel DQ45EK project

Hi

At first sorry for my bad English - I hope you will understand me Smiley Happy

I want to build up a small server with multiple OS. I found ESXi and it seems to be the best thing for my project. But it doesn't support my hardware...

My hardware is:

Board: Intel DQ45EK

CPU: Intel Core2Duo E8400 2x3Ghz

RAM: 2x2GB DDR2-800 Transcend JetRAM

Controler: PCI-Express Card with JMicron JMB363 Chip

My knowledge about PCs is very good, but I never used a Hypervisor and I didn't use virtualisation-software often.

Now here are the steps I want to realise - and maybe you can help me a little bit Smiley Happy

1) install support for Intel ICH10 - done

2) install ESXi onto HDD - todo

3) add support for the JMB363 - todo

4) add support for LAN - todo

5) install Windows Server 2008 onto ESXi - todo

6) install Openfiler onto ESXi - todo

7) install Windows XP onto ESXi - todo

The first step was easy... I followed this help: http://www.vm-help.com/esx/esx3i/customize_oem_tgz.php - but only for my USB-Stick-test-installation. And I had to use an other PCI-ID, for my ICH10-Controler it is 8086:2e16. Now ESXi can find my harddisks.

The Second step: I'll try again tomorrow with my own oem.tgz and put it onto the install CD an install it onto my HDD.

Third Step: That would be the hardest, I think. I have drivers for Windows (2000 - Vista) and Linux (2.4 - 2.6). But I think, it is a lot of work, to get this card running under ESXi, right? PCI-ID is: 197b:2363

Fourth Step: PCI-ID is 8086:10de - but I added 8086:10de 0000:0000 network e1000 to simple.map and an entry to pci.ids and it doesn't work. I get always the IP 0.0.0.0 What's wrong here?

5, 6 and 7: Let's see if the other steps are done.

So maybe here is someone who could understand my bad English and has a tip how I could get something more done. Smiley Happy

Greets Tobias

0 Kudos
3 Replies
craziman2
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same issue with my system. The research that I have done indicates that the Network Card (PCI ID: 8086:10DE) requires the E1000E driver which ESXi doesn't support. ESX Server does appear to have an E1000E driver so maybe ESXi will have one soon. Does anyone know if it is possible to add the ESX E1000E Driver to ESXi?

0 Kudos
phpboy
Contributor
Contributor

Did you end up getting ESXi installed?

0 Kudos
cucocuco1000
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

No, because of no tips i concentrated on other Software and found Citrix Xen Server 5.0. I had the problem with the network driver, too, but there I got help. Xen works fine!

Greets Tobias

0 Kudos