VMware Cloud Community
shale999
Contributor
Contributor

Installing fresh ESXi 3.5 with 2MB block size - where is the option ?

I don't recall seeing the option to install ESXi 3.5 U4 from boot CD with 2MB block size vs. 1MB block size default. Any advice - thanks in advance !

0 Kudos
3 Replies
norregaard
Expert
Expert

Normally, you don't choose block size during the installation of an ESX host. Are you thinking of choosing block size when you add a new LUN and format in VMFS? There, you have a choise of different block sizes to better fit larger LUNs and larger file sizes.

0 Kudos
shale999
Contributor
Contributor

I wanted to use 2MB block size to accomidate larger VM file size, yes; It's a simple setup with some low-utilization DB servers. The box is a Proliant DL350 G5 with 2TB direct attached SAS storage on RAID adapter. I suppose I can

not add all of the drive space avaliable during preliminary array setup, and add additional array drive space after the preliminary install and then format it with VMFS in 2MB block size ? I am surprised there is not an option to choose

file system block size during the boot install....

0 Kudos
norregaard
Expert
Expert

Ok, the simplest way to go about this is to install the ESX server but during install (where you have the partition table), you delete the VMFS3 partition and finish the installation.

Then connect to the ESX server with the Virtual Center Client and click the host. Choose Configuration -> Storage -> Add storage . Then you can add LUN's of up to a max of 2 TB. During this process you can choose block size.

(if ESX is already installed, then remove the VMFS partition that was created during installation and add a new LUN as mentioned above)

0 Kudos