VMware Cloud Community
matagorda
Contributor
Contributor

Installing VMWare EXSi problems

When I start the computer up and it starts to run the install it gives me the error "Unable to find a device to write the image to"

The hard drive shows up in the Bios.

What do I do now?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

What sort of hardware do you have and in particular what model of storage controller. If you're not running something from the ESXi HCL, then this list will give you an idea of the network / storage controllers that ESXi can see http://www.vm-help.com/esx/esx3i/Hardware_support.php.

0 Kudos
nick_couchman
Immortal
Immortal

What type of computer are you using? What's the chipset of your storage controller? You're probably trying to install to a hard drive on a storage controller that isn't supported by ESXi.

0 Kudos
matagorda
Contributor
Contributor

I am using a Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3L/S3L Motherboard with an Intel chipset. Just using a 250GB WD Sata drive with no raid.

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

What options in the BIOS do you have for the SATA controller - if it lists IDE then try that.

0 Kudos
nick_couchman
Immortal
Immortal

I've found on the SuperMicro boards that I have with the Intel ICH5 and ICH6 controllers that the BIOS options have to be set to non-IDE ("RAID" or "Enhanced") for the SATA controller, otherwise ESXi sees it as an IDE device and refuses to install to it. Maybe that's what you meant, Dave - I wasn't sure.

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

Maybe that's what you meant, Dave - I wasn't sure.

Thanks for the clarification - I sort meant just mess with the setting until hopefully one works Smiley Happy.

0 Kudos
matagorda
Contributor
Contributor

That was it. I found a place to make the SATA ports Native mode in the Bios. Once I did that it detected the drive. Thanks.

0 Kudos
matagorda
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks guys.

0 Kudos