VMware Cloud Community
WillGreen
Contributor
Contributor

Installing ESXi on HP Blade SSD

I have some demo HP BL490s with internal SSD (solid-state drive). When I run the VMware ESXi 3.5 update 4 installer on them it boots, but after I accept the licence agreement it says:

Installation operation Failed! The installation operation has encountered a fatal error: Unable to find a supported device to write the VMware ESX Server 3i 3.5.0 image to.

I tried an install of Ubuntu 8.10 and this worked fine and could see the SSD.

The Bl490 appears in the HCL and doesn't make any mention of issues with the internal disks:

I'm going to have a look for firmware updates now, but if anyone has ideas they'd be much appreciated.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
WillGreen
Contributor
Contributor

I've just realised the internal SSD is sata-based, could this be the problem?

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

Possibly, if the controller is not supported. If the controller is supported, then you're fine. Check to make sure your controller itself is on the HCL, although if your server is on the HCL, I imagine it should be.

-KjB

VMware vExpert

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
0 Kudos
matuscak
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Are you using the generic ESXi installer, or the HP specific one? I don't think the generic ESXi understands installing on flash.

If you haven't used the HP version, its downloadable from the HP Software Depot

0 Kudos
WillGreen
Contributor
Contributor

I am using the HP one. Both the HP one from the HP software depot and from vmware.com appear to be identical and both give the same error.

I am raising a call with HP. Will let you know how I get on.

0 Kudos
WillGreen
Contributor
Contributor

No joy from HP yet. Though looking at the BIOS (it's not listed on the HP spec sheet) the controller seems to be an Intel 82801GR.

0 Kudos
WillGreen
Contributor
Contributor

Apologies for not updating this post earlier, I solved this issue with help from HP. The solution is as indicated by Dave.Mishchenko in the above post.

ESXi 3.5 does not automatically see the SSD drive in the BL490, but you can get around this issue by following:

HP inform me that this issue does not occur with ESXi 4.0.

Other than this initial install issue, the BL490s have been running well.

0 Kudos