VMware Cloud Community
bhive
Contributor
Contributor

Installing ESXi 3.5 on DL380 G3

I am trying to install ESXi 3.5 on DL380 G3 which has 2 x 3.06Ghz Xeon processor. I downloaded the HP version of ESX13.5i ISO and burned the image on a DVD. The server does not seem to recognize the boot image and am unable to proceed with installation. linux or windows boot via dvd works fine. This tells me nothing wrong with the hardware.

Has anybody run into this issue before? Please help

0 Kudos
11 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

I would re-burn the .iso to disk. I have downloaded that .iso many times (I have dl360 G3's in my lab) and they work just fine.

0 Kudos
bhive
Contributor
Contributor

what version of iso image are you using? I am using the VMware ESXi 3.5 U4 Installable with HP Management Agents and Customizations iso image. Please let me know.

0 Kudos
Luckybob
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

As said, check your iso. Also check your disk to make sure the burn was good. I use the same ISO you listed, and have had a bad burn before. Double check to make sure you can boot off it on another system, doesn't matter what it is, you are just checking to see if it is bootable.

0 Kudos
bhive
Contributor
Contributor

I think the iso on the vmware website is corrupt. After buring 5 DVD, I could not get any of them boot on my laptop or the DL. I tried installing it on a VM, i get Thin ESX installtion promot and keeps rebooting every 2 seconds. At one time, i even got an error message like corrupt file or something.

I could successfully install ESXi 4 on the VM. Unfortunately, i cannot install ESXi 4 on a DL390 G3. Can any one be kind enough to upload a working esxi 3.5 image to a ftp site. I will provide the ftp site details

0 Kudos
Luckybob
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Have you tried the ESXi 3.5 update 4 ISO? If you provide me the ftp details, I will upload the 3.5/w HP tools for you.

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

It would not be legal for anyone to upload a piece of software from HP or VMware. Use the checksum to verify the file after you download it. I don't believe the ESXi 3.5 is a DVD. Pretty sure it is a CD. Try burning the file to a CD

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
bhive
Contributor
Contributor

How does it matter? DVD or CD. It is just a media with different capacities. Not sure if it is illegal, because we are not trading a free piece of software from a commerical interest.

0 Kudos
Luckybob
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I was worried about that. I got a call from my Daughter's school, had to pick her up from the nurse's office. On my way I was thinking about the licensing issues, I have not checked into it, but it sounds right.

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

Did you do an MD5 checksum check on the download? The checksum is provided so you can confirm a good download. Did you try writing to a CD?

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
Marcelius
Contributor
Contributor

Im not sure but on DL380 G3 were normally only cd-rom not dvd-rom. Maybe you cannot use dvd.

0 Kudos
passymoep
Contributor
Contributor

Old thread - but... I use ESXi3.5 on a DL380G3.

What about installing ESXi with iLO? And - I'm sure - my DL380G3 only eats CD-ROMs ;)...

0 Kudos