VMware Cloud Community
vite1
Contributor
Contributor

Installing ESXi 3.5.0_Update_3-123629.i386 on Vm workstation 6.5

When I try to install the ESXi vmvisor on my VMware Workstation 6.5.1 build-12630 this is what happens: It just gets to the point where it says Vmkernel loaded successfully and then stays there and doesn't go any further. Please see the attach for my settings etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
12 Replies
goppi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

do you have a Intel VT CPU?

I had the same issue when trying to start the ESXi VM on WMware WS which was installed on a machine without Intel VT

0 Kudos
vite1
Contributor
Contributor

It's a Dell Vostro 220S with Intel[R] Cort[TM]2 Duo CPU E7300 @ 2.66GHz. I think I need to have a 64bit for this to work right?

Also have you had any success with installing ESXi on a USB flash and would I be able to run that on this PC?

Thanks for your help

0 Kudos
goppi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

EM64T seems to be enough and is working here.

I have installed ESXi 3.5 update 3 in a VM running on VMware WS 6.5.

The Hardware is a Toshiba TERCA Notebook with Intel Core DUO.

This way I had no need to try a USB stick so far. Simply installed it on a VMDK.

How long did you wait?

Here it also took about two minutes showing this message before continuing.

Assigning only one CPU to the VM cured this problem.

HTH.

0 Kudos
oreeh
Immortal
Immortal

See

0 Kudos
vite1
Contributor
Contributor

I found out my system does support 64Bit however I don't want to enable it and wipe out what I have. Yes as you saw in my settings I did choose 2 CPUs. I will try this. attached you will see a screen shot of where the ESXi gets hung up for hours and will not go past this. Thanks again for your help.

0 Kudos
vite1
Contributor
Contributor

goppi, I also found these instructions Create a new virtual machine choose custom advanced.

Choose operatingsystem Other Linux 64bit

Then choose the lsilogic scsi kontroller.

Then choose the appropriet memory and disk settings.

remove the virtual machine from favorite list.

Edit the vmx file and add line: monitor_control.restrict_backdoor = "true" Is this Necessary now?

Start the virtual machine and boot from the .iso file.

Install esxi.

0 Kudos
vite1
Contributor
Contributor

Oreeh, Thanks a lot. Yes I see there that you must have 64bit. Do you have good info on installing ESXi on a USB Flash drive I have a 1GB?

Thanks again.

0 Kudos
goppi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Edit the vmx file and add line: monitor_control.restrict_backdoor = "true" Is this Necessary now?

Yes otherwise you are not able to start a VM and you will get a message that a VM cannot be started inside a VM.

Regarding 64-bit if you have a Intel CPU with EM64T technologie that should be enough.

For USB install I only have a German article. Don't know if it is of any use for you

0 Kudos
vite1
Contributor
Contributor

I do have the Technology on my PC for 64bit, however it's not turned on in the BIOS. I was told that if I turn it on I will lose all of my data. Right now I have VM workstation 6.5 installed on XP pro using 32 Bit. Did you see my screen shot where it gets hung up? I don't get any error it just stays at the point where it says "VmKernel loaded Successfully: and that's it. I did your suggested setup with choosing one processor I choose just other and other for OS as If I choose the other 64bit it gives me a message stating that the host doesn't support it, so I didn't use that choice. I gave it 10gb of HD space with the 1GB of Ram this time. I will edit the VMX file now and see if that does it.

0 Kudos
goppi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

When I start the VM on a 32 bit machine it gets hung exactly at the same point as yours so I suspect your problem is that you disabled it in the BIOS.

Also the message saying that 64 bit guest is not supported on this machine indicates that this is the cause of your problem (I do not get this message on an EM64T enabled notebook)

0 Kudos
vite1
Contributor
Contributor

So I take it that I can't enable the 64bit in the BIOS otherwise it will wipe my OS and all the data right? It is strange how it just hangs at this point and doesn't go any further even after I put this monitor_control.restrict_backdoor = "true" line in the file; Was there a specific spot that I had to add this to the vmx file? I guess it's not going to work anyway.

0 Kudos
goppi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The monitor_control.restrict_backdoor = "true" does not have any impact at that level.

It comes into play when you created your first VM on the ESXi host and try to start it.

Not sure what happens if you enable 64-bit after OS install. As HAL may be different you may see a BSOD after reboot.

Only thing you can try is to make an image of the HD and try it afterwards.

0 Kudos