VMware Cloud Community
nidelson
Contributor
Contributor

Installing Audio Card using ESX3i

I have a Windows 2003 Server in a VM running on a Dell PE2950 under ESX3i. I want to install a Digigram miXart audio card in a PCI slot and access it with my applications in the VM. I understand that the dirvers for this device have to be installed outside the VM at the ESXi host level. I think I can find Linus drivers for this device. Is there anyone that has attempted to do this yet?

Another suggestion I have received is to implement a Windows Server 2003 based VMware server product on my Dell PE 2950 and install the audio card with its Windows based drivers on the host and then see if I can get a Windows 2003 Server VM to work with the card.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Axis
Contributor
Contributor

I don't think this is going to work on ESXi or VMware Server, because, both these products do not pass-through the specific sound card.

What exactly do you want to accomplish?

0 Kudos
nidelson
Contributor
Contributor

I am trying to replicate a development environment for a system that we deploy for our customers on a ESX host so that I can configure several (minimum of two) on the host at the same time. The system uses a DELL Power Edge Windows Server 2003 server with a Digigram miXart8 Analogue (some systems use the Cobranet version) audio card. We have developed a C++ Audio Controller service that uses the PCX Tools libraries to interface with the card and drive audio out the card to our system.

Basically, I am trying to determine how I can get my application running in the VM to communicate with the card, regardless of where the driver for the card resides (i.e., outside the VM in the VMware server).

Somewone suggested to me that I might be able to add a Linux driver for the card to the Linus based ESX kernal and pipe output to and from the card that way. If I can get the card on the VMware host, I can access it through multiple versions (not simultaneously) of my system loaded in their own VMs saving the cost of several cards.

The other alternative suggested to me is to do something similar with a Windows based VMware server . In this case, I know there is a working driver available for the Windows Server 2003 (versus the unknown Linus dirver). The "magic" of piping output to and from the card from the VM is still an issue though.

0 Kudos
Jackobli
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I really like, use and pay for VMWare products, but for your problem, you may also have a look to Xen. IMHO (not tested, just read somewhere), Xen should be able to pass PCI-Hardware through to the guest os.

If you are using ESX3i, it does not really contain a full fledged Linux. The console is really cut down to the minimum. Developping drivers for ESXi is possible, but i doubt for a sound card or similar thing.

TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

Welcome to the forums

interesting first post, but unfortunately I fear you will not recieve the answer you are looking for.

This will not work with ESX,

firstly please do not just install Linux drivers willy-nilly into ESX as they are being installed into the Service console and not ESX. the VMkernel will be unaware of then anyway. also as there is not virtual hardware for your device you will not be able to pass it through to the Guest VM

I suggest you investigate either VMware Server (free) or VMware workstation (costed,) as these may fulfil your needs better, although I doubt it asagain, there is no virtualised Digigram miXart Audio Card.

you may get a better fit with XEN, not too sure but again I doubt it. for the reason stated above. personally I think that this is just one of those use cases where virtualisation is, unfortunately not the answer.

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

Tom Howarth

VMware Communities User Moderator

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
VMware Communities User Moderator
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410