VMware Cloud Community
chaucerw
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Installation on Existing Server?

I'm going to be installing ESXi in order to perform some software testing, and wanted to know if it is strictly necessary to blow away the existing operating system (Windows server 2003) on the test server prior to installing ESXi ? Or is there was a way to migrate the existing OS onto ESXi as part of the ESXi installation process?

Thanks.

Patrick

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jayctd
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Part of the installation process no

You could use vmware converter from another machine to P to V migrate it then put it back on the host after you have installed ESXi

You could also ghost the server (or use acronis) and convert the image to a virtual also using the vmware converter and put it back on as a virtual

Would require another machine to store that image on until ESXi is put on (or another ESX host that already exists to put the image onto)

Jered Rassier

##If you have found my post has answered your question or helpful please mark it as such##

##If you have found my post has answered your question or helpful please mark it as such##

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
jayctd
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Part of the installation process no

You could use vmware converter from another machine to P to V migrate it then put it back on the host after you have installed ESXi

You could also ghost the server (or use acronis) and convert the image to a virtual also using the vmware converter and put it back on as a virtual

Would require another machine to store that image on until ESXi is put on (or another ESX host that already exists to put the image onto)

Jered Rassier

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

No real way to migrate. You can use the VMware Converter tool (downloads) to convert the server to an OFV appliance prior to installation but you would need to provide external storage and upload the ofv after installation.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator