VMware Cloud Community
smartin0924
Contributor
Contributor

Install SCSI Driver for WinXP install

Hello all, this is the first time have posted to this forum. I have loaded ESXi on a Dell 2950 with no problems. I have loaded Win2008 and it is working great. I'm trying to load WinXP onto this same server but it will not let me because it says it couldn't locate the hard drives. I have downloaded the SCSI drivers VMSCSI-1.2.0.4.flp and have uploaded it to a datastore.

Here is my problem. When I select the option to have the Floppy Drive to connect on power and have the cd rom connect on power, the installation begins by showing me the text "Scanning Hardware yada...yada..yada..." then the screen goes black just before it gives you the option of selecting F6 and it stays there. i have to stop the VM in order to start things over again. Does anyone have a suggestion on how to move passed this?

I have tried booting from both an ISO file and the original cd sent from Dell running XP SP3 on it.

Thanks,

Steve

0 Kudos
4 Replies
khughes
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I'm assuming you are hitting F6 while the screen is black and its not coming up still?

• Kyle

-- Kyle "RParker wrote: I guess I was wrong, everything CAN be virtualized "
0 Kudos
smartin0924
Contributor
Contributor

I have tried this, but I'm still not getting a response or anything on the screen.

SM

0 Kudos
smartin0924
Contributor
Contributor

OK, I find a way to make it work. I opened the console in a seperate window. (Not that this matters) I unchecked the Power on at connection under the floppy to get it to boot from the cd. Once I was able to press the F6 option I slected from the top under VM / Edit settings and then went back in a connected the floopy drive. Once I did this, i was able to proceed loading the SCSI drivers.

Thanks for replying.

SM

0 Kudos
khughes
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Good to hear you got it all up and working, it isn't essential to have the floppy drive connected at startup, when you "connect" it to the VM its just like you're popping in the floppy disk into the drive. If this solves your problem go ahead and mark the thread as answered.

• Kyle

-- Kyle "RParker wrote: I guess I was wrong, everything CAN be virtualized "
0 Kudos