VMware Cloud Community
maxkachalin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Install HA agent on ESXi 3.5u3 failed: "An error occured during configuration of the HA agent on the host."

Hi!

I have trouble installing HA agent through vCenter to clean newly installed ESXi 3.5u3. At about 60% of process "Reconfigure for VMware HA" error occurs: "An error occured during configuration of the HA agent on the host." At this time in remote syslogI have:

Jan 14 14:19:56 80.251.112.51 Hostd: 2009-01-14 11:18:44.412 'TaskManager' 49156 info Task Created : haTask-ha-host-vim.host.NetworkSystem.refresh-237

Jan 14 14:19:56 80.251.112.51 Hostd: 2009-01-14 11:18:44.412 'NetworkProvider' 49156 info Refreshing the entire network configuration...

Jan 14 14:19:56 80.251.112.51 Hostd: 2009-01-14 11:18:44.425 'NetworkProvider' 49156 info Refreshed the entire network configuration.

Jan 14 14:19:56 80.251.112.51 Hostd: 2009-01-14 11:18:44.425 'TaskManager' 49156 info Task Completed : haTask-ha-host-vim.host.NetworkSystem.refresh-237

and no warnings or errors.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
madda
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

In the HA feature list it doesn't mention about using HA between hosts, its all about the components within a single host have HA abilities. You can cluster VMs across different hosts, for VM HA, but not VMware HA on ESXi

----- Mark Atherton

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
18 Replies
madda
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

HA is a component of ESX not ESXi and requires the service console to run under, which doesn't exist on ESXi installations

----- Mark Atherton
0 Kudos
maxkachalin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

have another info.

Near standing server under ESXi have instaled HA without any problems. Both servers are HP DL380 G5 with E5420 2.5 GHz Intel QC Xeon CP and both have identical hardware configuration.

0 Kudos
madda
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

In the HA feature list it doesn't mention about using HA between hosts, its all about the components within a single host have HA abilities. You can cluster VMs across different hosts, for VM HA, but not VMware HA on ESXi

----- Mark Atherton
0 Kudos
maxkachalin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

VMware tells in datasheets to non-free VI3 about HA, but VI3 evaluation package consists of ESX, ESX and vCenter. Is non-free version also have this constraint that HA only runs on ESX, not ESXi?

And one more question, I see in Licence tab of free ESXi managed by evaluation next add-ons:

VirtualCenter Agent for ESX Server - Unlicensed use

VMotion - Not used

VMware DRS - Not used

VMware HA - Unlicensed use.

What does it means?

0 Kudos
madda
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

HA/DRS require the Service Console on the host, and the SC is only included within ESX not ESXi.

The list you showed is a generic list that is shown when you manage a host in VC, if you have foundation HA/DRS/Vmotion are disabled, standard DRS/VMotion are disabled, enterprise everything is enabled.

----- Mark Atherton
maxkachalin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You means edition of vCenter?

In this case I think that evaluation version of vCenter comes as Enterprise edition. Thanks for an answers!

0 Kudos
madda
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

VI3 comes in those 3 versions

vCenter comes in foundation and standard, foundation has all functionality but can only manage upto 3 hosts

----- Mark Atherton
0 Kudos
maxkachalin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I've continued searching, there is a topic, where jgilmartin from VMware team told, that available even mixed ESX and ESXi HA clusters, so I think not mixed ESXi cluster is also available respectively. Where is the truth? ?:|

0 Kudos
madda
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

It seems that I may be incorrect in that assumption of HA not being available in ESXi, have you checked the recommendations that are made in that topic?

----- Mark Atherton
0 Kudos
maxkachalin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

For this time I'm install full ESX for tests, will test ESXi later.

Problem has strange behaviour:

1. Adding host_1 - HA agent configured normally,

2. Adding host_2 - error as described above.

3. Removing both hosts.

4. Adding host_2 - no error.

5. Adding host_1 - error.

In another words: HA agent starts normally on first added to cluster host and fails on secondary.

0 Kudos
madda
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I would personally always recommend running full ESX hosts rather than ESXi to be honest. The benefits of having a full SC to use, far out weigh the benefits of not having one

----- Mark Atherton
0 Kudos
grapp
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Check you DNS entries for both hosts. Had the same problem and error before, and traced it back to a typo inthe DNS record for one of the hosts.

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Thread moved to the VI: ESX 3.5 forum

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

Tom Howarth

VMware Communities User Moderator

Blog: www.planetvm.net

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos
VMweaver
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Swap file must be enabled on ESXi before adding it to an HA cluster. See for detail.

0 Kudos
Texiwill
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Hello,

Moved to ESXi forum.

Best regards,

Edward L. Haletky

====

Author of the book 'VMWare ESX Server in the Enterprise: Planning and Securing Virtualization Servers', Copyright 2008 Pearson Education.

Blue Gears and SearchVMware Pro Blogs: http://www.astroarch.com/wiki/index.php/Blog_Roll

Top Virtualization Security Links: http://www.astroarch.com/wiki/index.php/Top_Virtualization_Security_Links

--
Edward L. Haletky
vExpert XIV: 2009-2023,
VMTN Community Moderator
vSphere Upgrade Saga: https://www.astroarch.com/blogs
GitHub Repo: https://github.com/Texiwill
0 Kudos
maxkachalin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

At this time I've installed ESX instead of ESXi, created all DNS entries for servers, checked that's from all hosts all other pings by short name, FQDN adn that PTR works correctly.

The difficult also that "Task & Events" tab hasn't description of problem, only "An error occured during configuration of the HA agent on the host."

Again have the same problem.

UPD: After starting one more time "Reconfigure HA" task secondary cluster host becomes active with no errors. No another action was performed from previous try.

0 Kudos
dennish
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

pleasde could somebody tell me where this topic has been moved to ?

It seems it was moved according to the thread but no forwarding url was left Smiley Sad

any help would be appreciated

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If you access the discussion with an old URL that will still work.

The discussion now exists here - VMware Communities > VMTN > Datacenter Virtualization Products > VI: VMware ESXi > Discussions.

0 Kudos