VMware Cloud Community
pdx99
Contributor
Contributor

Infrastructure client license question

I have ESX Server 3i installed and in System Center (which I'm evaluating and which displays that there are 49 days remaining in my eval) under the Configuration -> Licensed Features, for "ESX Server Standard" it says Licensed for 1 CPU.

At the same location under "License Source" it says "Evaluation" and "4 day(s) remaining", I don't know what this is referring to but I'm interpreting this to mean that I am running a evaluation version of the Infrastructure Client and it's going to expire in 4 days. I installed the client by browsing to the ESX 3i Server and I was under the impression that the client didn't need a license and was included with the Server (and I don't recall being prompted for any serial number when I installed the client)

Is the Infrastructure client included with the ESX 3i Server?

Thanks

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

The VI client has no license tied to it and it is a free install. Both ESXi and vCenter server will install with a 60 day eval license. If you point your ESXi host to the license server on the vCenter server then you should be OK for the remaining 49 days. After that you would need to license ESXi and optionally vCenter.

0 Kudos
pdx99
Contributor
Contributor

I was under the impression that ESX 3i was free so the 60 day eval term on ESXi is unclear to me. The following press release from VMware supports my belief (). The release - dated 7/28/08 -says, "VMware ESXi Hypervisor Now Free" and " VMware, Inc., (NYSE: VMW), the global leader in virtualization solutions from the desktop to the datacenter, today announced its stand-alone ESXi hypervisor will be available at no cost to help companies of all sizes experience the benefits of virtualization".

Assuming that the above release was accurate and ESXi is free, then I'm still unclear what is going to expire in a few days. If the client is free it's not that and System Center display 48 days still remaining so it's not that.

Thanks for the reply

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

ESXi is free but you will still need to obtain a license code from VMware -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful