Bart_Simpson1
Contributor
Contributor

Infrastructure Client Update fails

Hello,

when I try to search for update for my ESXi Server's I only the error:

"unable to reach vmware update service. Please try again later."

In the logfile of the updater I can see:

2010-05-12 12:00:10 Unable to reach VMware update service.

2010-05-12 12:00:10 System.Net.WebException: Der Server hat eine Protokollverletzung ausgeführt.. Section=ResponseStatusLine

bei VMware.UpdateService.UpdateServiceImpl.checkForUpdates()

bei VMwareUpdateServiceClient.FormUpdateServiceClientProperties.CheckForUpdates()

It is an German Windows system.

I have try it on an second system, the same result.

Any ideas what goes wrong?

0 Kudos
16 Replies
nanair01
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hope you are not using Update Manager. What OS are you using (The OS on which you have installed VI Client) ? Is it Microsoft Windows 2008? If you have a computer installed with Microsoft XP or Microsoft Windows 2003 Server install VI client and try to update. It should work.

If you are going to try updating from XP, please do not forget to give "Run as Administrator". Good luck!

If you find this post helpful/rectify your problem do not forget to award points

If you find this post helpful/rectify your problem do not forget to award points
0 Kudos
Bart_Simpson1
Contributor
Contributor

The Infrastructure Client is installed on an normal XP client with local admin rights for the user, that run it.

The file is called c:\Programme\VMware\Infrastructure\VIUpdate\VMwareUpdateServiceClient.exe

0 Kudos
nanair01
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Can you right click on UpdateServiceClient and choose "Run as Administrator" and post here whether that was success or not.

If possible can you try installing VI client and VIU in any WIndows Server 2003 machine(if available) and run it from there?

0 Kudos
Bart_Simpson1
Contributor
Contributor

Running with the right click method will get the same result.

Installing it on an 2003'er Server get the same result.:(

0 Kudos
nanair01
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Check out whether this link can be of any help to u.....

http://www.vm-help.com/esx/esx3i/Patch_3i_without_VC.php

0 Kudos
HannaL
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

There are a number of issues with non-ascii characters and internationalization causing problems. Check the release notes for VC, ESX and Update manager to see if any apply to your situation.

Hope that helps

Hanna

Hope that helps, Hanna --- BSCS, VCP2, VCP VI3, VCP vSphere, VCP 5 https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/mydeveloperworks/blogs/vmware-support-ibm
0 Kudos
VirtualV
Contributor
Contributor

Are you able to run windows update on the server from which you are managing you environment ?

0 Kudos
VirtualV
Contributor
Contributor

Are you able to run windows update on the server from which you are managing you environment ?

0 Kudos
Bart_Simpson1
Contributor
Contributor

Yes Windows updates will work on the Server/XP system.

0 Kudos
Champers
Contributor
Contributor

Exactly the same problem here with a Dutch (Belgian) Windows XP :

2010-05-18 09:47:04 VI Update Client Starting

2010-05-18 09:47:04 Starting host list registry scan

2010-05-18 09:47:04 Checking: a.b.c.d

2010-05-18 09:47:10 Rearming host registry scan timer

2010-05-18 09:47:12 Unable to reach VMware update service.

2010-05-18 09:47:13 System.Net.WebException: De server heeft een fout in het protocol veroorzaakt. Section=ResponseStatusLine

bij VMware.UpdateService.UpdateServiceImpl.checkForUpdates()

bij VMwareUpdateServiceClient.FormUpdateServiceClientProperties.CheckForUpdates()

Anybody else seeing this problem and/or have a fix ?

I tried with a clean XP SP3 install, but error remains.

Software in question is VMware's Infrastructure Update that comes with ESXi 3.5 and 4

0 Kudos
steffenp
Contributor
Contributor

Exactly the same problem here. WinXP (German) and VMware Infrastructure Update (ESXi 3.5)

vSphere Host Update Utility 4.0with ESXi 4 seems to work.

0 Kudos
Champers
Contributor
Contributor

Correct, ESXi 4 and 3.5 have different updaters. I initially missed that one.

I installed an English XP just for the sake of testing and there I had the same problem too.

Did VMware shut down their Update Service for ESXi 3.5 ?

0 Kudos
Bart_Simpson1
Contributor
Contributor

Sehr geehrte Damen und Herren, ich bin erst ab dem 26.05.2010 wieder im Hause. Ihre Post wird nicht weitergeleitet.

MfG

Frank Büttner

0 Kudos
JordanKlein
Contributor
Contributor

I've been having this issue for better than a month. I was suspicious that reloading my desktop from XP 32-bit to Windows 7 64-bit was the culprit. But, from what I'm reading, even XP SP3 users are having this issue.

Next suspicion is that VMware got rid of the update service for ESXi 3.5. I really hope that's not the case.

Jordan Klein

0 Kudos
EvilJ3sus
Contributor
Contributor

Has there been any update to this issue? Doing some network sniffing I see this:

IP 504 0.296 0 CONNECT 96.6.194.52 connect://www.vmware.com:443

So it tries to connect to that IP and fails with a Bad Gateway, but if you go to https://www.vmware.com it connect correctly. If VMWare changed the update site, they should released an update for the updater, if they closed down the update site for 3.5 they should at least let everyone know or simply not release anymore updates, but leave all the previous ones there.

I really hope they didn't just close the site as that would really be a deal breaker for me. I have been looking at Citrix Zen and this would definitely be something that tips that scale!

0 Kudos
Bart_Simpson1
Contributor
Contributor

Sehr geehrte Damen und Herren,

ich bin zur Zeit im Urlaub.

Ihre Post wird nicht weitergeleitet, daher bitte ich Sie alles an support@cora-it.de erneut zu versenden.

MfG

Frank Büttner

0 Kudos