VMware Cloud Community
CbTucker
Contributor
Contributor

Increase space on VM Hard Disk

The solution is probably obvious, but I'm missing something.   I try to increase the Hard Disk 1 capacity on a Windows 2003 VM through a

VCenter client attached directly to the ESXi host (perhaps the issue?).  I increase the disk space from 10GB to 30GB,  and it acts like

it's going to do it.  The Reconfigure VM completes in the tasks list.  When I go back to the VM however, it's still sitting at 10GB.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

That's expected. In order for the guest operating system to be able to use the additional disk space, you need to resize the partition(s). In case of e.g. Windows 7/2008 this can be done online using the Disk Manager. For some guest operating systems it might be necessary to resize the partitions using a third party tool like gparted.

André

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

... here is a KB article explaining this http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1004071

André

0 Kudos
CbTucker
Contributor
Contributor

I may have needed to clarify a little bit.  When I go back into the Edit Settings for the VM it's still at 10GB.

I expected it to still be 10GB in the OS. I know you have to expand there.  It's just I expected it to show the 30GB

size within VCenter itself under the Edit Settings.

I'll double check everything, but that's what I was seeing.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

That's unusual. Just to clarify, the host is connected to a Virtual Center Server and you are trying to resize the virtual disk by connecting the Infrastructure Client directly to the host on which the VM is currently running?

What's the size of the virtual disk when you look at it in the datastore browser?

André

0 Kudos