VMware Cloud Community
tall
Contributor
Contributor

Import virtual appliance

Hi,

Is it possibe to Import virtual Appliance from the ESXi console (ALT+F1 tty) ?

My goal is to prepare "one stop" process that will install ESXi server and my virtual machine as a single guest on the same server.

Tal

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
11 Replies
riker82
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

did you try to upload the virtual appliance with the vic client? directly on datastore?

0 Kudos
tall
Contributor
Contributor

yes, I did , and it works for me fine.

However , I'm looking for a way to customize the installation process ( or run any command on unsupported console ) to import my appliance ( that was previously exported and compressed) directly from the server itself. I try to simplify the process ( eliminate the need for vi install and so on...)

I plan to use the HOST computer for my appliance only, thus no ESXi future configuration is required ( at least in simple install model that I'm looking).

Tal

0 Kudos
riker82
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I think that you are looking for vmware converter, isn't it? (even with no license)

0 Kudos
tall
Contributor
Contributor

no, I don't think so.

I try to import existed virtual appliance and not perform p2v or v2v process.

Again, my goal is to import virtual appliance to ESXi from the console itself! as a part of single installation process.

0 Kudos
riker82
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vmware converter is not only designed for p2v and v2v processes but also for importing a virtual applicances and for vcb restore operation. I think the operation that you want do also concern in opening firewall ports (shall you use samba? or cifs share?)

0 Kudos
tall
Contributor
Contributor

Dear ,

I say it to you , again . I want to finish the installation process without leaving the host server.

If you don't know the answer - please don't flood!

0 Kudos
NTurnbull
Expert
Expert

Hi, I think that you can do this via the RCLI, checkout the RCLI Install and reference guide. You say that you want to finish the install and import of this appliance without leaving the console, so how are you going to get access to where the applicance is storage wise? Hows it connected?

Thanks,

Neil

Thanks, Neil
0 Kudos
tall
Contributor
Contributor

This is exact a part of my question Smiley Happy

regarding the media - I can put my appliance on an additional cd-rom media or on separate partition on USB key.

Tal

0 Kudos
riker82
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

no problem.

thank you for your kindness

0 Kudos
NTurnbull
Expert
Expert

Have a look at the fantastic sanbarrow.com site think that'll put you in the right direction

Thanks,

Neil

Thanks, Neil
tall
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the hint - nice one (unfortunately it does not make me closer for the answer) Smiley Sad

0 Kudos