VMware Cloud Community
ESM
Contributor
Contributor

Import/export/copy VMDK on standalone ESXi hosts

Hello all. I'm not very familiar with ESXi but am with ESX. I would use vmkfstools to import/export machines off a Windows ahre over SMB. Additionally would use WinSCP to copy offline VM's directly between ESX hosts that were standalone (not connected to VC).

Does vmkfstools in RCLI support the necessary commands to import/export VM's this way? What about copying offline VM's directly between hosts? I don't see how this would work without a shell system installed. I'm hoping there is a way to go direct since that saves some time. Again, this is for hosts not connected and managed by VC, but rather, standalone.

I found some info that you can browse the datastore, right-click a file, and choose download, which downloads it to your local host. Is there any limitations on VMDK file sizes with this method? Does the downloaded file get split into 2g chunks like vmkfstools does with -d 2gbsparse command? I also see you can do "upload" with this method. Again, any limitations with this method? Is this method ANY different then vmkfstools from RCLI ?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

See here: http://communities.vmware.com/message/1076503

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
0 Kudos