VMware Cloud Community
lifeonmars
Contributor
Contributor

IP Address 0.0.0.0 Static

Hi there!

I know this subject has been posted before and had many responses but unfortunately none of those posts really apply to me, so please accept my apologies for repeat posting.

I am new to ESX but not new VMWare (in Windows), I am trying to expand my knowledge on the subject but unfortunately my company has pulled its training budget so I am trying to teach myself instead.

I installed VMware ESX Server 3i 3.5.0 build-123629 on a powerful laptop, Dell Precision, Intel Dual Core 2 Extreme, 4GB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD. It installs without any problems and the main screen recognises the hardware however, the NIC is given an IP address of 0.0.0.0 (Static). I try to modify the IP address by pressing F2 and going to Configure Management Network but it only gives me an option to hit F11 to reset the network config to the factory defaults or Esc to cancel.

I checked the HCL and my NIC - Broadcom 57xx Gigabit is recognised by ESXI.

My knowledge is limited in terms of how I can configure the card and move on from this stand still.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance - LifeOnMars

0 Kudos
24 Replies
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

You might want to have a quick review of the Vmware Podcasts.

They can be helpful getting you started.

Check to see that a NIC has been selected in Network Adapters screen.

The NIC series may be on the list but ESXi may not have detected the particular embedded NIC in your laptop.

Have you tried reset to factory?

DHCP is available on your network?

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
lifeonmars
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for your prompt reply DSTAVERT!

I will cjeck out the podcasts thank you. DHCP is enabled on my network, most devices are and I have reset the BIOS to factory defaults and flashed the BIOS too, I ahve also reset the EXSI network seetings too but to no availe.

How would I go about to check if a NIC has been selected in Network Adapters screen?

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

F2 to enter configuration

Select "Configure Management Network" Enter

Select "Network Adapter" Enter

If ESXi has discovered a network adapter it should be visible and checked. If not you have a problem.

You can try ALT/F12 during boot and watch for errors during startup.

You can view the System logs from the Configure screen to see if there are errors.

It may be possible to modify the PCI IDs to match your hardware if it is not recognized but ultimately you may not be successful. OEM.TGZ[OEM.TGZ|~524569]

0 Kudos
lifeonmars
Contributor
Contributor

Hi - I ran installation again and pressed ALT F12, i didnt see anything to appear as an error, the installation seemed faultless.

When I press F2, I am only given the option to "Restore Network factory Setting", I have tried this yet againa nd still fail to pick up an IP address.

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

If the NIC does not show up under Configure Management Network / Network adapters you may have some digging to do. Remember that ESXi is meant to be installed on a server not a laptop. I would strongly suggest that you look for a supported SERVER. Older supported servers are quite cheap.

kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

Another option is to install ESX inside of VMware workstation. There are various guides that explain how to do this, xtravirt.com has one that is mentioned most often. It will also give you a chance to build multiple esx servers and see how they interact with each other, especially if you are using this to learn esx.

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
0 Kudos
lifeonmars
Contributor
Contributor

I tried as advised but unfortunately it doesn't show me a NIC I cant see any hardware for that matter. Are there any commands or key combinations that could reveal more information, or even a tool that provides a GUI to overcome these sorts of issues?

0 Kudos
lifeonmars
Contributor
Contributor

I did actually try to install ESXi on a virtual machine but that does the exact same thing, therefore i decided it was best to install the software on a physical machine. I even tried to install ESX 3.5 on this laptop but that again had a problem Wwhich I will post on another subject, Fatal Error, Panic Error or words to those effect.

Ideally I'd like to go down the ESXI route as its free and there are no time constraints on evaulation period issues.

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

Following the guide, when you create the virtual machine for ESX, you have to hand edit the virtual machine config file and change the NIC type to e1000. That will allow ESX to recognize the NIC correctly.

-KjB

0 Kudos
lifeonmars
Contributor
Contributor

So in theory this could work for the laptop too maybe. Could you advise which config files need to be altered?

Thanks for your advise!

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

Not so much. When you're working with a VM, you're using virtual hardware. By default, it is a modified driver (amd/pcnet32 / vmxnet). You can hand edit and make this look like e1000, but only because you're able to manipulate the hardware presented to the vm, because it is being done in software. That isn't so easily on your laptop directly, because spoofing a broadcom to look like an intel nic doesn't make the hardware behave the same way.

-KjB

0 Kudos
lifeonmars
Contributor
Contributor

could i modify a drivers folder in the ISO install, like the i386 folder for Windows but use Red Hat drivers?

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

No, not for ESX. Vmware maintains its HCL, and the ESX drivers are included with the hypervisor. Standard windows/Linux drivers do not apply here, they have to be for ESX.

-KjB

0 Kudos
lifeonmars
Contributor
Contributor

there are so many hardware on a machine how can i identify which element is at fault, the HCL does not cover all hardware on my machine.

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

ESXi is a SERVER based OS. The drivers that are included (a very small install BTW) are intended to support a server. They are very specific to servers. You may be lucky and have a computer, other than a server, that just happens to have controllers, network cards, etc. that do have driver support. If ESXi doen't easily install then you will need to decide if you have the understanding, patience, time etc. to dig further. Have a look. Some people have spent weeks trying to make a non supported piece of hardware work with ESXi. A laptop is a poor starting point since you can't replace your NIC or HD controller.

Consider switching your focus here. There is no real interface to ESXi, and so you must have another machine to manage your ESXi host. Since you need another computer, use that one as your "server" and use the laptop to manage the ESXi host and the guest machines.

0 Kudos
lifeonmars
Contributor
Contributor

I was starting to think along those lines. Just one point however, could it be that the network setup is not allowing ESXi to pick up an IP address? I have it connected directly to a Modem Router (ADSL) with 4 ports, could that need specific configuration?

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

It's possible, but you would still see the available network adapters in that case in the configuration screen. They should exist, even though they can't pick up an address.

-KjB

0 Kudos
lifeonmars
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, thats right off course!

Would using a PCMCIA connected NIC adapter be out of the question?

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

Remember SERVER. Start looking for a SERVER on the supported list. You can find older servers that are supported. No grief.

0 Kudos