VMware Cloud Community
straycatzhang
Contributor
Contributor

How to use template to deploy vm with ESXi 3.5U2

Hi :

I want to deploy VM from my VM template in ESXi (3.5U2). The function that deploy VM from VM template is not in VI (ESXi include VI ).Would anyone tell me to deploy VM from template must use VIMA or using another tools.

Thank you !

0 Kudos
2 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Welcome to the Forums - Templates are a feature of virtual center - if you do not have virtual center you will not have the template feature - to duplicate VMs with a stand alone ESX/ESXi host you will need to use converter or just copy the files that ,ake the VM

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
atbnet
Expert
Expert

Yep this is a vCenter feature. And also vCenter needs to have all the windows sysprep files to customize the guest OS.

If you copy the VM files .vmx .vmdk etc the VM wil be exactly the same. In the case of windows servers etc the same SID. You will need to regenerate this so it does not conflict.

Andy, VMware Certified Professional / VMware vExpert Award 2009

Help, Guides and How Tos

If you found this information useful please award points using the buttons at the top of the page accordingly.

Andy Barnes
VCP / VCA-DT / MCITP:EA / CCIA
Help, Guides and How Tos... www.VMadmin.co.uk

If you found this information useful please award points using the buttons at the top of the page accordingly.
0 Kudos