VMware Cloud Community
Labsy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

How to upgrade ESXi 3.5

Hi,

I have ESXi 3.5 u2 installed, and I would like to upgrade to latest u3. But I cannot find any proper documentation on how to do it.

I was trying to follow PDF guide, and it says:

When new updates are available, the system tray icon for Infrastructure Update displays a notification. The notifications appear only if you keep automatic update notifications enabled.

To install available updates

1 Choose Start > Programs > VMware > VMware Infrastructure Update

...ok, nice. But my ESXi does not have "VMware Infrastructure Update" - I only have Client and I cannot download anything else (officially).

Now, some other guides, say to use Command Line tools...but ESXi does not (officially) hace Commandline...

I tried with ESXi 3.5 u3 Installable CD, and it offers only: REPAIR and INSTALL.

REPAIR actually upgraded my ESXi from u2 to u3, but all settings were gone, networking, resource settings, and I had to import VM again...messy thing. I better not try with INSTALL, since it will definitelly erase all my VM's and not just upgrade.

So, is there any normal procedure to upgrade ESXi from u2 to u3?

Thanx!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Formatter
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Or reinstall the VI Client and when you do select to install the upgrade tool as well.. when its there run it tell it you ESXI ip and ask for updates.. allow it to put them in and done... Reboot the esxi and off you go.

The vi client is on and has the update tool in it when you install.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
17 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Welcome to the forums - That is for the VI Client not for your ESX server - you will need to monitor VMware's web site for updates and patches - such as - these include the information to install the patches -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
Labsy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanx for answer, but given link is not usable for me - I have read Upgrade Guide and Installation Guide, from top to bottom and in reverse, but there is actually nothing, which would apply to my situation:

- I have ESXi 3.5 update2 and want to upgrade to Update3

- my server is single host, with local disks

- I don't have nothing, but VMware Infrastructure Client and ESXi host

Isn't upgrading as simple as checking compatibility, inserting CD, and selecting "Upgrade host"? And if not so simple, aren't there really ANY usable docs for users of free ESXi software?

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

OK - understand now - yes it is that simple boot off the cd and select upgrade -

0 Kudos
Formatter
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Or reinstall the VI Client and when you do select to install the upgrade tool as well.. when its there run it tell it you ESXI ip and ask for updates.. allow it to put them in and done... Reboot the esxi and off you go.

The vi client is on and has the update tool in it when you install.

0 Kudos
Labsy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you both for replies.

Regarding Installable CD, which can be downloaded here after registration: it does NOT offer UPGRADE, but only REPAIR and INSTALL. Repair option does actually upgrade, but seizes your whole configuration, while Install option reformats your drive, which is even worse. there is no Upgrade option, despite of mentioning it in manuals.

Formater's info was actually most valuable. I discovered VI client Update tools, which had not Shortcut under Start Menu -> Programs, but I started it directly from hard disk. It recognised my ESXi and begun looking for updates...but ended with failure: Unable to reach VMware update service. Please try again later.

Any idea?

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I'd suggest downloaded the latest firmware from here - http://support.vmware.com/selfsupport/download/ as it will be newer that Update 3. You can then add the ZIP to the Update client or use the command line / RCLI to update the host - http://www.vm-help.com/esx/esx3i/Patch_3i_without_VC.php.

weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

That is because it was looking for VMware Update Manager a separate product

0 Kudos
Labsy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I am embarassed now...last few instructions seem to be the only correct and stright forward, but I still have problems:

Trying with VI Update tools via "Check Now" button, server responds "Unable to reach VMware update service. Please try again later ". Changed IP and DNS settings on ESXi host, so it can definitelly browse internet and putting it in DMZ...now it takes quite longer, but I still get the above mentioned error.

Then tried by downloading 3 patches for my ESXi 3.5 u2 Build-119271, and tried pointing VI Update tool to each .ZIP file...but still no success: "Package does not contain applicable updates".

I am leaning towards upgrading via format & reinstall ?:|...

P.S.: Problem is NOT solved yet.

Message was edited by: Labsy

0 Kudos
Scissor
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

P.S.: Problem is NOT solved yet.

Message was edited by: Labsy

I don't think it matters if your ESXi server itself has access to the Internet.

Typically you would install the Virtual Infrastructure (VI) Client on a Windows workstation that has connectivity to both the Internet and your ESXi server. During the installation of the VI Client you should be asked if you want to also install the VI Update Service -- select Yes.

Start the VI Client and connect to your ESXi server. This will cause VI Client to save your ESXi server name for future reference.

Then start the VI Update program (Windows Start Menu -> All Programs -> VMware -> VMware Infrastructure Update). Under the Hosts tab you should see a list of ESXi servers that you can select to check for updates. Under the Updates tab you can then perform the check for updates. When you check for updates, your Windows Workstation will access the Internet to see if there are any applicable updates for your selected ESXi hosts.

Note: If your Windows workstation is running Vista, I've found that I need to start the VI Client using the "Run as Administrator" option in order for it to work properly.

Labsy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Scissor,

thanx for your answer.

I did everything as you described, also tried with "Run As Administrator", tried from 2 different clients (windows server 2008 and Vista), but over and over again same error: after VI Update client successfully recognises IP and version of my ESXi host, and I click on "Check now" for updates, I get same error "Unable to reach VMware update service".

I un-installed and reinstalled VI Client many times on both machines, but still no difference.

BTW - by using ESXi 3.5 update 3 Installable CD for purpose of UPGRADING, there is no option to upgrade, as some told - only "Install" or "Repair", and both of those options either clear out my ESXi, or clear only configuration. So it's not easy to upgrade, it seems.

And then, finally - HEUREKA!

I thought about your remark regarding Vista and Run As Administrator. So I setup another server, this time Windows 2003 server, and tried from this one. And here we go, BINGO! windows 2003 successfully connected to my ESXi, downloaded all updates and patches, and updated my host! It was Microsoft "2008 technology" guilty for my troubles and obviously VI Update does not work correctly on it yet.

Tried for fun with my old XP computer - success again!

Dunno why...maybe something firewall-related, maybe something else.

Doesn't matter - problem solved, maybe helpfull to somebody else, too.B-)

0 Kudos
richmorrissey
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

For what it is worth, I had the same issue "VMWare infrastructure Update Unable to reach VMWare update service. Please try again later" with my Windows XP client using a non-administrator account. when I did runas and ran as an admin it worked.

0 Kudos
tlindi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

btw. I have had same error on my all Vista x64 installations I'm in trouble now. I don't have any x86 XP or Vista awailable. Run as Admin doesnt help..

Found the solution !

Registry key security must be fixed!

Log gives clue: C:\Users\tomi\AppData\Local\VMware\VMware Update Client\logs

QuickInf] 2009-04-03 02:48:12 Unable to reach VMware update service.

2009-04-03 02:48:12 System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the registry key 'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\VMware, Inc.\VMware Update Client' is denied.

at Microsoft.Win32.RegistryKey.Win32Error(Int32 errorCode, String str)

at Microsoft.Win32.RegistryKey.CreateSubKey(String subkey, RegistryKeyPermissionCheck permissionCheck, RegistrySecurity registrySecurity)

at Microsoft.Win32.Registry.SetValue(String keyName, String valueName, Object value, RegistryValueKind valueKind)

at VMware.UpdateService.ServiceConfig.resetLastCheckTicks()

at VMware.UpdateService.UpdateServiceImpl.checkForUpdates()

at VMwareUpdateServiceClient.FormUpdateServiceClientProperties.CheckForUpdates()

2009-04-03 02:49:16 Starting host list registry scan

So do following

After that go with luck!

T.

Message was edited by: tlindi

0 Kudos
goalie000
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Same problem here with the "can't contact update service" on 64-bit Vista. Just right-clicked on the Infrastructure Update program and chose "Run as Administrator" and it worked just fine...

0 Kudos
NasaDave
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Confirm: Vista x64 - 'Run As Administrator' on the VMware Infrastructure Updater worked.

0 Kudos
neka
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Win7 Pro x64 here.

I also had "Unable to reach VMware update service" and I had to do a variation of the registry fix above.

My update log looked the same as that user's but in my case the keys didn't even exist. They were in the Wow6432Node for 32bit apps. I had to export the entire vmware Inc registry key and then edit the .reg (take out the Wow6432node part) so that when I re-imported it would be in HKLM\Software.

Then I also had to fix the permissions like was done above by giving the Users group access.

At that point the error went away but the Update Client told me the process required elevation so I still had to Run as Admin.

If I had been running as admin after the export and reimport fix I might not have had to give the Users group access to that registry key but I'm not concerned enough to go back and find out.

HTH someone...

0 Kudos
pingwu
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have downloaded ESXi update 5 zip file; then use 'vmware Infarstructure Update' to Add Files... under Package Cache session; open that zip file.

From there it should guide you through the update processes.

Ping Wu

Ping Wu
0 Kudos
aussiepata
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I am running Windows 7 x64 and the entries on the REgistry did not exist. I created all of them without any content and the VMware Infrastructure Update starts working properly.

ScreenHunter_02 Sep. 13 16.39.jpg

ScreenHunter_03 Sep. 13 16.40.jpg

0 Kudos