VMware Cloud Community
matagorda
Contributor
Contributor

How to switch to use DHCP

I finaly got the ESXi installed but it keeps putting the NIC on static. How do you change it to DHCP? I already tried hitting F2 to customize it and go to Customize Management Network but all it does is offer to reset things back to default. I have not found any place that allows to change any network settings.

At the beginning it also looks like it wants an address to download tools. How do you set that option up and what tools is it refering to?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

At the beginning it also looks like it wants an address to download tools. How do you set that option up and what tools is it refering to?

On a Windows PC, enter that URL and you'll be able to download the VI client install. Install that and you'll then use the VI client to manage your host (including changing the IP address).

How do you change it to DHCP? I already tried hitting F2 to customize it and go to Customize Management Network but all it does is offer to reset things back to default. I have not found any place that allows to change any network settings.

Go to IP configuration, select the "use dynamic IP" option and press the space bar to select it. Then hit enter. The Configure Management Network should now show Automatic when you have IP Configuration selected. Hit ESC and you'll be prompted to restart the management network. Then your host should have DHCP again.

0 Kudos
matagorda
Contributor
Contributor

It doesnt give me the option to configure any ip settings. There is an option for network settings but when you go into it the only option you have is to reset things back to default.

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

Do you get an IP address listed on the main screen? It might be a problem with yoru NIC. What are you using for NIC and server.

0 Kudos
matagorda
Contributor
Contributor

I tried using the onboard NIC and also installed an extra NIC thats an older SMC 1211tx series. It keeps showing 0.0.0.0 (STATIC). If you try to reset the configuration it stays that way. It never changes.

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

See the list here of NICs that ESXi will recognize. I use an Intel Pro 1000 GT but if you have an Intel Pro100 around that might work as well - http://www.vm-help.com/esx/esx3i/Hardware_support.php.

0 Kudos
matagorda
Contributor
Contributor

I dont see it on the list. I have a realtek and an SMC which has been 2 real popular chipsets. Odd they arent listed. You would think VMWare would of created the ability to add drivers to their system as well. So much for using this product. Hopefully in the next two years they will improve their product to be more user friendly and provide better documentation that you can actually find on their site. I was never able to find any installation guides for ESXi stuff.

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

Should you still be looking for it, the install guide and other docs can be found here - http://www.vmware.com/support/pubs/vi_pages/vi_pubs_35u2_3i_i.html.

0 Kudos