VMware Cloud Community
sixthneo
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

How to support Windows 7 and upgrade to the latest version.

I have two question about ESXi :

1. How to add an option for Windows 7 in Guest Operating System?

2. My ESXi version is 3.5.0 build 110271. Where can I get the latest version? How do I upgrade it?

Any help would be thankful.

Regards,

Neo

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Jackobli
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Deinstall VI Client, reinstall VI Client, ask yes to the option to install the Upgrade Manager. Afterwards find the appropriate Icon at your Startmenu (VMware).

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Erik_Zandboer
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi,

Windows 7 is not supported to run on ESXi yet. You cannot add the option as well. I would go with a vista-type VM, that will probably do the trick.

The latest ESXi version can be downloaded from VMware:

Visit my blog at http://www.vmdamentals.com
0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I would go with a Window 2008 option, futher you can not really expect VMware to support a Beta product on a production system which adding an install option would imply. when Microsoft release Windows 7, Vmware will support it.

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

Tom Howarth

VMware Communities User Moderator

Blog: www.planetvm.net

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
VMware Communities User Moderator
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
Formatter
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I have installed and ran win 7 in a normal vm listed as xppro 32 bit.

Also upgrades can be done from the update manager however you must remember to install it when you install the client. The just runit and tell it to look for updates.

RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

futher you can not really expect VMware to support a Beta product on a production system which adding an install option would imply. when Microsoft release Windows 7, Vmware will support it.

I really wish more people would understand this point. ESX is more for production product not a beta release testing product. But many users want ESX to have every conceivable option ready for every Alpha release.

ESX goal is stability, at least that's my understanding. Until products are ready for release they aren't stable..

0 Kudos
Formatter
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Yes I very much agree, Its great that esxi is very stable but italso allows for testing of an OS that is new in a stable enviorment. I love esxi for testing and instituting changes to networks and I use it to ensure allmy proceedures are perfect prior to implementing them on an ESX 3.5 live production setup.

0 Kudos
Jackobli
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

The real problem is, that ESXi is free. So most of this closefisted people are trying to run stuff on Server or ESX(i) instead of spending some bucks for Workstation, which is a really great product for testing and developping.

0 Kudos
sixthneo
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

Where can I get update manager? Is it inculded in VMware Infrastructure Client?

Please give me more reference, thank a lot.

Regards,

Neo

0 Kudos
Jackobli
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Deinstall VI Client, reinstall VI Client, ask yes to the option to install the Upgrade Manager. Afterwards find the appropriate Icon at your Startmenu (VMware).

0 Kudos