VMware Cloud Community
DigitalEssence
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

How to setup new switch/ports/nics for MS iSCSI initiator

Hi,

I am looking to snapshot data on our primary server and then attach it to our VM via scripted admsnap commands. I have found that the only way to be able to attach/detach while the server is running is to go down the Microsoft initiator route.

I am now stumbling on setting up the networks required for this VM to see the SAN box using the initiator.

Our set up so far is:

vSwitch0 which has vmnic0 & 1 (192.168.1.x range) and is used for LAN traffic for the VM's

vSwitch1 which has vmnic3 (192.168.252.x range) and is used for the SAN Storage processor A

vSwitch2 which has vmnic2 (192.168.253.x range) and is used for the SAN Storage processor B

http://i44.tinypic.com/20pezr4.gif[/IMG]

Our ESX box can connect to the LUNs on the SAN box ok but I can't get the VM to ping the SAN storage processors even after adding two new network adapters and configuring them with the correct IP address, which I am assuming is because the 192.168.252.x and 192.168.253.x ranges are not present on the VM and it is this problem I would appreciate some advice.How toI allow the VM's to use vSwitch0 & 1

thanks.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hello.

vSwitch0 which has vmnic0 & 1 (192.168.1.x range) and is used for LAN traffic for the VM's

vSwitch1 which has vmnic3 (192.168.252.x range) and is used for the SAN Storage processor A

vSwitch2 which has vmnic2 (192.168.253.x range) and is used for the SAN Storage processor B

Our ESX box can connect to the LUNs on the SAN box ok but I can't get the VM to ping the SAN storage processors even after adding two new network adapters and configuring them with the correct IP address, which I am assuming is because the 192.168.252.x and 192.168.253.x ranges are not present on the VM and it is this problem I would appreciate some advice.How toI allow the VM's to use vSwitch0 & 1

I'm guessing you added the two new network adapters with label "VM Network" to this virtual machine? I'm also guessing that vSwitch0 has no access or routing to the storage network. If so, what you will need to do is modify both vSwitch1 and vSwitch2 to add a new virtual machine connection type. Click the "Properties" link beside vSwitch1/vSwitch2 and in the "Ports" tab click the "Add" button. Choose "Virtual Machine" under the connection type, give it a descriptive label, and click Finish. Next go back to the VM (Edit Settings) and change those network connections in your virtual machine to point to the new label you just created. Finally, set up, or verify) the IP addressing in Windows and try the ping command again.

Good Luck!

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The vm's can't use a vmkernel interface. You'll have to create a vm network portgroup on vSwitch1 and vSwitch2. Then make sure the vNics are configured to use those portgroups.

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hello.

I'm guessing you added the two new network adapters with label "VM Network" to this virtual machine? I'm also guessing that vSwitch0 has no access or routing to the storage network. If so, what you will need to do is modify both vSwitch1 and vSwitch2 to add a new virtual machine connection type. Click the "Properties" link beside vSwitch1/vSwitch2 and in the "Ports" tab click the "Add" button. Choose "Virtual Machine" under the connection type, give it a descriptive label, and click Finish. Next go back to the VM (Edit Settings) and change those network connections in your virtual machine to point to the new label you just created. Finally, set up, or verify) the IP addressing in Windows and try the ping command again.

Good Luck!

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
0 Kudos
DigitalEssence
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Brilliant, thanks.

Job done.

I know both of you said the same thing but vmroyale said it in a way my little brain could understand, ie so detailed it almost had pictures.

0 Kudos