VMware Cloud Community
ict4smb
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

How to move VM's for harddisk upgrade?

I have installed ESXi on a server with only a 80Gb harddisk installed (RAID-1). Now I am going to upgrade both disks to 1TB (RAID-1). What is the best possible method to backup my VM's?

I have a spare server. Installed ESXi on it and transferred one VM using the VMware Converter to that spare server. After upgrading the harddisks and installing ESXi again I want to transfer my VM's back to the original server.

Is this the right method or is there an easier method?

Thanks,

Chantal

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kooltechies
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi,

I don't see a problem in you powering on the VM on the spare server as well , you can very well do that and use it till your primary server is up and runnin. Once the primary server is running shut down the VM on spare and then copy over.

Thanks,

Samir

P.S : If you think that the answer is helpful please consider rewarding points.

Blog : http://thinkingloudoncloud.com || Twitter : @kooltechies || P.S : If you think that the answer is correct/helpful please consider rewarding points.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
VBarak
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

i think this is the healthiest way there is.

you can try using vmkfstools commands, given you have connection between servers, and it might be a bit faster.

anyway, just copying and registering the machine's files will be just as good.

Lightbulb
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Not really a right or wrong method kind of procedure. The method you are using is pretty safe, as you ensure that the VMs are funtional on another system after the transfer. Then just convert them back and you should be good to go.

ict4smb
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I will not power on the VM's on the spare server, just copy over, reinstall ESXi on the main server (with new harddisks) and copy them back and then power on.

Should be pretty safe though...

0 Kudos
kooltechies
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi,

I don't see a problem in you powering on the VM on the spare server as well , you can very well do that and use it till your primary server is up and runnin. Once the primary server is running shut down the VM on spare and then copy over.

Thanks,

Samir

P.S : If you think that the answer is helpful please consider rewarding points.

Blog : http://thinkingloudoncloud.com || Twitter : @kooltechies || P.S : If you think that the answer is correct/helpful please consider rewarding points.
0 Kudos