VMware Cloud Community
talapoga
Contributor
Contributor

How to manage VMs via SSH

Hello,

My ESXi box seem to work fine. But, VI is not usable under my linux desktop. Because it have only 256 Mo of RAM, i can't use iMKS or other solution based on Windows VM. So iwish manage my furure VMs with SSH. But i didn't dound anything about that. Can you ou help me ?

Thank for links, ideas ...

0 Kudos
10 Replies
ChrisMTL
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi doesn't have a service console for managing via SSH. You'll need to use full ESX for remote console functionality.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

you may want to take a look at this link

http://www.vm-help.com/esx/esx3i/ESXi_enable_SSH.php

0 Kudos
talapoga
Contributor
Contributor

SSH is already running.That is very easy to enabled Smiley Happy

Create or manage VMs with SSH seem not possible. that is a problem Smiley Wink

Thanks

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

yes... It would help if I read the original question properly. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
ChrisMTL
Contributor
Contributor

You need to use the VIC to manage VM's on esx and esxi.

0 Kudos
talapoga
Contributor
Contributor

Hum, my english is awful, no ? Smiley Wink

Can speak french ? Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
talapoga
Contributor
Contributor

I think Xen is better for me : it work fine with SSH Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
ChrisMTL
Contributor
Contributor

Oui xen va marcher

0 Kudos
talapoga
Contributor
Contributor

Dommage pour ESXi. Je reverrais ca quand j'aurais une autre machine dispo (comme ca je pourrais gérer depuis un windows virtualisé)

Merci/Thanks

0 Kudos
kooltechies
Expert
Expert

Hi,

I guess you can use vsish for some functionality , but it's an advanced and an unsupported way of managing the VMs. Moreover the ssh (techsupport) mode is not recommended from VMware. To use vsish you need to acess the EESX through ssh and enter vsish to get the vsish prompt.

if you do a ls there you will find many different nodes one of such will be /vm you can manage variuos vm properties inside that node.

Thanks,

kooltechies(samir)

P.S : Please consider giving points if you thinks the answer is helpful/correct.

Blog : http://thinkingloudoncloud.com || Twitter : @kooltechies || P.S : If you think that the answer is correct/helpful please consider rewarding points.
0 Kudos