VMware Cloud Community
rcflyer2005
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

How to integrate with my P2P network?

I have installed ESXi 3.5 ( U4) on an ASUS P5K MB with two Intel Pro 100/1000 NICs. Both NICs are recogized by ESXi. The NIC attached to my DSL line has the correct IP address (192.168.1.zzz (I don't know if giving the last 3 digits is a security issue or not?)). The second NIC is new and I want to attach to my home P2P network. For home network, I useI TCP/IP address 10.10.0.xxx where xxx is 1-100.

When I am in ESXi 3.5 Configuration, Configuration Network Management, IP configuration, I have the choise of:

(1) use dynamic IP address and netwrok configuration, or

(2) use static IP address and network configurtion. I can choose either dynamic or static.

Since my DSL line is dynamic and my home network is static, Is there a way to get around this delima? Do I have do make my home network DSCP?

Thanks very much!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
rpmayhem
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I assume the WinXP box you want to install the VIClient on is part of the P2P network. From the WinXP machine, try browsing to http://10.10.0.75/

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

When setting the network management IP this is the address you will connect to manage your ESX Server - personally I would chose a static address on the network you are going to manage the server from -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
rcflyer2005
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

OK, I'll give it a try, probably on Monday.

Thanks for your input!

0 Kudos
rcflyer2005
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Settting up the NICs is a bit confusing. I have two NICs. The first s for the DSL Internet access. The second is for my home P2P network. Setup as "WORKGROUP",not DHCP, use static 10.10.0.xxx.

This is my setup.

A. Main Page

VMware ESX server 3i 3.1.0 build-123629

System Mfgr: P5K

Intel..Quat CPU Q6600..4GB Memory

Download tools to manage this host from (Static). Should this be the address of the DSL line?

Hit F2 to customize, enter password and the Customize System panel is displayed.

B. Customize System. Here are my settings.

1. Configrue root password - set.
2. Configure Lockdown Mode - disabled.
3. Configure Management Network - Host name: localhost. IP Address: 10.10.0.75. Go into Configure Network Management, down one level

a. Network Adapters

1. vmnic0 - home p2p

2. vmnic1 - dsl

Go into Network Adapters and both are Checkex("X"), Hardware Label is displayed and Status is blank. Exit up one level.

b. VLAN - not set.

c. IP Configuration - On the right:

Selected Static IP Configuration.

IP: 10.10.0.75

Subnet Mask: 255.255.0.0

Default Gateway: 10.10.0.20. This is a PC with Win 2000 Pro that is used as a file server on the home p2p. It is not DHCP or DNS server, I use "WORKGROUOP" hand hard code all TCI/IP settings on the networked PC.

d. DNS Configuration

Primary Server: 192.168.1.254.

Alternate Server: 10.10.0.20.

Hosename: localhost.gateway.2wire.net.

e. Custom DNS Prefix - gateway.2wire.net

Question:. How should I set the network settings so I have P2P connectivity and can install the VI Client on a Win XP Pro machine?

0 Kudos
rpmayhem
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I assume the WinXP box you want to install the VIClient on is part of the P2P network. From the WinXP machine, try browsing to http://10.10.0.75/

0 Kudos
rcflyer2005
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

BINGO!!!

That worked beautifully. I downloaded and installed Infrastructure Client to my XP box. I am connected to the ESXi box.

Thanks very much.

0 Kudos
rpmayhem
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Glad to hear it worked!

0 Kudos