VMware Cloud Community
Lokis
Contributor
Contributor

How to instal Vware tools on ESXI 3.5 for Windows 2003 Srv. 32 bit.

Hello everyone.

Few days ago I have installed ESXI 3.5 Server on my HP ML 350 G3 server , everything

Goes fine , but I have one big trouble . I don’t know how to install Vmware tools for one of my virtual machines (Windows 2003 R2 Srv. 32 bit . std.)

In Vmware Infrastructure Client \Inventory \Virtual Machine (when virtual machine is shut down ) options INSTALL /UPGRADE VMWARE TOOLS ARE BLANK .

When I try to install Vmware tools when virtual machine in ON , there is an information that I can install vmware tools when virtual machine is on.

Could anyone tell me how to install vmware tools for my virtual machine (Windows 2003 Srv. 32 bit std) ?

Regards

Loko

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Gerrit_Lehr
Commander
Commander

The VM does of course need to be power on to install vmware tools. The setup gets mounted to the virtual cdrom and then started via autorun within the VM. Is there a virtual CD-ROM configured for your VM? If so check that other iso files etc. are disconnected, too.

Kind Regards,

Gerrit Lehr

If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".

Kind regards, Gerrit Lehr If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
krowczynski
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Right click on the VM, Install/Upgrade VM Tools!

MCP, VCP3 , VCP4
0 Kudos
Lokis
Contributor
Contributor

.......You were right . I feel so small , like a lamer……… 

I didn’t looked at "my computer" Windows …uhhh .

Many thanks for help.

Regards

Loko

0 Kudos
bulletprooffool
Champion
Champion

If you;re battling to install the VMTools, it could be due to you not having a CD drive mapped to the VM. VMware uses this to mount aq virtual ISO in th bacjkkground and performa the install.

The alternaticve is to extract the VMTools installer MSI from the ISO that you download and simply execute it liek a normal application installation.

One day I will virtualise myself . . .
0 Kudos