VMware Cloud Community
Tinha
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

How to configure IP Address on VMWare ESXi 3.5

Hi all. I've installed the VMWare ESXi 3.5 on a dedicate test

server, assign a private IP = 10.10.1.10 to the VMWare box (this box has 2 physical NIC); and then I

installed the Symantec BrightMail 9.0.2 as a virtual appliance on top of VMWare ESXi

3.5 to act as a mail gateway. The BrightMail installation goes smooth. However, I am not able

to connect to the Internet inside BrightMail 9. I setup BrightMail to

have 2 virtual network card. Network 1 (eth0) got the IP address =

10.10.1.11, Network 2 (eth1) got the IP address = 82.132.33.45 (actual

public IP). With this settig, the BrightMail virtual machine is able to talk with other PC in my LAN, howerver, it can not go on the Internet. My network configuration is as the following:

A Router (Modem, with Public IP) connects to the VMware machine (the first NIC) directly, and then the VMWare (second NIC) connects to a switch where other LAN PC also connects to.

My question are,

1. Since BrightMail runs on top of

VMWare, how can I get BrightMail to connect to the Internet and at the

same time it connects to my LAN? Currently the VMWare machine has a

private IP 10.10.1.10 assigned to it.

I am kinda confuse on the network setting on the VMWare itself (I am not the network

guy). Any suggestion is weclomed. Thank you.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

from the observed range, vmnic0 looks like your DMZ LAN and vmnic1 is your Local LAN (172.x.x.x) can you verify that you have plug in the right cable to the right port?

thereafter you are not suppose to combined both nic into a single portgroup. you will need to make vmnic0 as a new vswitch with new portgroup named DMZ Lan and change this in the virtual machine virtual network adapter 2 to use DMZ LAN as the virtual switch.

iDLE-jAM | VCP 2, VCP 3 & VCP 4

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

you will need to create a virtual switch with a portgroup that is connected to your DMZ cable. hence your public ip of the 2nd nic will be able to access the internet. is such portgroup being created in the first place?

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

0 Kudos
Tinha
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi. VMWare ESXi already created a default virtual switch with a default portgoup for the BrightMail virtual appliance. I can see that 2 of the physical NIC was attached to this virtual switch. However, I am not sure how to create a "virtual switch with a portgroup that is connected to your DMZ cable" as you suggested. So you are saying I need to assign the public IP to the 2nd NIC (by using NAT on the firewall?), and then create a virtual switch with a portgroup? The question is, how do I do that? On the VMWare server, I only can set 1 IP on the physical NIC (vmnic0), which currently assigend with a private IP, with no default gateway configured. I can not access the 2nd physical NIC on it, even though I can see it on the VMWare server (vmnic1).

0 Kudos
Tinha
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

These are my current configuration for the WMWare server and the BrightMail virtual appliance network setting, see if you point out the culprit of my problem. Thank you in advance.

0 Kudos
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

from the observed range, vmnic0 looks like your DMZ LAN and vmnic1 is your Local LAN (172.x.x.x) can you verify that you have plug in the right cable to the right port?

thereafter you are not suppose to combined both nic into a single portgroup. you will need to make vmnic0 as a new vswitch with new portgroup named DMZ Lan and change this in the virtual machine virtual network adapter 2 to use DMZ LAN as the virtual switch.

0 Kudos
Tinha
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi. Your the man! That is what I need to do. Once I did what you suggested, I can go on the Internet inside the virtual machine! Bravo. Now I need to figure out how to hook up with the Exchange server. Thank you for your help !

0 Kudos
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Glad to know it has resolved your issue. Do let you know if you need any help on your exchange connectivity.