VMware Cloud Community
Eli4
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

How to assigning each nick to a separate guest OS?

I’m running ESXi 3.5 update 3 on a dell 2950 III, with 4 virtual servers running on it

There are 2 nics available for use.

I want to put 3 servers on one nick and 1 server on the other

ESXi automatically assigned both to a team at vswitch0 and to VMnetwork. I created another vmnetwork but can’t figure out how to take the second nic from the first vmnetwork. Tried to create another vswitch, but errored out because of the same netmask.

I’m not an advanced user of ESXi, so would appreciate if someone explains to me in plain English what am I doing wrong or how to do it.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Craig_Baltzer
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Assuming that both NICs are connected to the same switch and there are no VLANs or other segmentation setup then it should be as simple as freeing up one NIC from vSwitch0 so it can be used to create a new vSwtich. You'll end up with a NIC connected to each vSwitch, and a VM Network configured in each. So part 1 is to get the NIC freed up

1. In the VIClient connect to the ESXi box, goto Configuration, Networking.

2. Click on the Properties... link beside vSwitch0,

3. Go over to the Network Adapters tab and remove one of the NICs.

Now go create a new vSwitch (vSwitch1)

2. Click the Add Networking... link

3. Pick Virtual Machine for the connection type

4. Pick the NIC you just freed up

5. Enter a new network label for the switch (i.e. Virtual Machine Network 1 or something else that is descriptive)

Finally power off the VM you want to put on the newly configured NIC

1. In the VIClient connect to the ESXi box, click on the VM and Edit Settings...

2. Click on Network Adapter, then go over to Network Connection and pick the connection you created above (i.e. Virtual Machine Network 1)

3. Make sure that Connected, and Connect at power on are ticked

4. Hit ok

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Craig_Baltzer
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Assuming that both NICs are connected to the same switch and there are no VLANs or other segmentation setup then it should be as simple as freeing up one NIC from vSwitch0 so it can be used to create a new vSwtich. You'll end up with a NIC connected to each vSwitch, and a VM Network configured in each. So part 1 is to get the NIC freed up

2. Click on the Properties... link beside vSwitch0,

3. Go over to the Network Adapters tab and remove one of the NICs.

Now go create a new vSwitch (vSwitch1)

2. Click the Add Networking... link

3. Pick Virtual Machine for the connection type

4. Pick the NIC you just freed up

5. Enter a new network label for the switch (i.e. Virtual Machine Network 1 or something else that is descriptive)

Finally power off the VM you want to put on the newly configured NIC

1. In the VIClient connect to the ESXi box, click on the VM and Edit Settings...

2. Click on Network Adapter, then go over to Network Connection and pick the connection you created above (i.e. Virtual Machine Network 1)

3. Make sure that Connected, and Connect at power on are ticked

4. Hit ok

0 Kudos
Eli4
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks you for the quick reply.

It worded perfectly and I found where I were making a mistake.

0 Kudos