VMware Cloud Community
Weighbadd
Contributor
Contributor

How do I install HP Insight manager on ESX 3i 3.5.0 build-110271

I downloaded the correct version of ESXi, HP_Installer_Image-110271.iso, and tried installing it following the instructions. I get the following error at the point where I run the command: ./installvm810.sh. The error says: cut: /proc/bus/pci/devices: No such file or directory, cut: /proc/bus/pci/devices: No such file or directory and then ./installvm810.sh: . : 112: Can't open /etc/init.d/functions. I am running the free version ESXi, do I need to purchase something? What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,

WB

0 Kudos
12 Replies
JMills
Expert
Expert

The script you're trying to run sounds like it is written for use on ESX, not ESXi ... it is expecting to run in a full fledged Linux environment (the Service Console for ESX) and not a minimalist Busybox shell (ESXi).

Could you give me an idea of how you reached the Insight Manager download page you used?

0 Kudos
patrickds
Expert
Expert

The iso you have there is a complete installation CD for ESXi installable with integrated HP insight agents.

I think you're just supposed to reinstall your ESXi from this CD, not install the agents separately.

Where are the instructions you talk about?

The only installation guide i can find is the general installation, nothing specific for the HP version.

0 Kudos
Weighbadd
Contributor
Contributor

This is the link I downloaded the HP Insight Manager agents from:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?swItem=MTX-62350b0bf98a442f...;

If it only installs on ESX and not ESXi, is there a way I can get HP Insight manager agents to work on ESXi?

Once agin thanks for the help

0 Kudos
patrickds
Expert
Expert

that link points to the HP insight agents, which is a tgz file.

This can only be installed on an ESX server, not ESXi

In your original question, you are referring to an iso file, which looks to me like the ESXi installable CD image with integrated HP insight agents.

If you reinstall your ESXi server with this CD, it will have HP insight agents preinstalled.

Afaik there is no way to install the HP insight agents in your existing ESXi free installation, since it lacks the console to install them in.

0 Kudos
Weighbadd
Contributor
Contributor

I reinstalled ESXi again with the iso image. What are the next steps I need to take to get Insight Manager working on it? Or is this not possible beacause it is ESXi and not ESX?

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

You won't install anything further on the ESXi host. If you go to Configuration \ Health Status, you'll be able to see the hardware components that the CIM server on ESXi can see. If the components are showing up there as expected, then you'll want to discover the ESXi host from your HP SIM server. I beleive you have to be running HP SIM 5.2 SP1 or higher.

0 Kudos
patrickds
Expert
Expert

Never installed the ESXi with insight agents myself, but i assume they are already working, and just need to be configured to send snmp traps to the correct destination.

I don't know if it also installed a System management homepage, but you can check that by pointing a browser to https://yourESXi:2381

Maybe there is a configuration tool in the ESXi menus, or you'll have to configure it by running discovery & configuration tasks on your HP Insight Manager server.

0 Kudos
gorto
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

HP produce their own USB-based (customised) version of ESXi3.5 with their own agents already configured on it.

Its free from your main HP representative (not re-seller).

How to install from the installable (CD) - I doubt if that is the preferred method, if at all achievable

0 Kudos
patrickds
Expert
Expert

How to install from the installable (CD) - I doubt if that is the preferred method, if at all achievable

If you mean install the agents from the CD, i agree.

Installing the ESXi from the CD is no problem at all. This is just the same as the normal ESXi installable version (it's even downloaded from the same page on the vmware website).

The USB stick version is like the embedded one you can get preconfigured on servers. You can even create your own USB stick using the CD. (either the HP version or the normal one)

0 Kudos
Weighbadd
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for all the info. I can't seem to configure the snmp though. from the console I try vicfg-snmp but it gives me an error of not found.

0 Kudos
patrickds
Expert
Expert

There probably isn't any snmp on ESXi and it uses another mechanism for alerting to insight manager.

You'll have to configure monitoring/alerting from your HP Systems Insight Manager Server.

0 Kudos
dilpreet
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

The HP ESXi image has the necessary CIM providers built-in, so when you install this image you need not enable any thing else. To use HP SIM with ESXi you will need to enable CIM, there should be some HP provided documentation for this (tech note attached). I saw some mention of snmp as well, you can turn on the VMware SNMP traps via the RCLI but this is only for fully licensed copies.

0 Kudos