VMware Cloud Community
PScrib
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

How do I import old virtual machine files into new ESX setup.

Hi,

I've got a bunch of old virtual machines in a folder that used ti live on a ESX 2.5 setup. This ESX 2.5 setup has nowbeen taken down and rebuilt. I now want to import these "images" back into our new 3.5 ESX setup.

If I right click and select "Import machine" within Virtual centre and choose "Standalone virtual machine, backup or disk image" and select the .vmx file off one of the "images" I get an error saying "Failed to open file". Anyone any idea? Or should I be using a different method to get these machine back in?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
aguacero
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Try going thru the "datastore browser" and register the VM that way and see what happens.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
aguacero
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Try going thru the "datastore browser" and register the VM that way and see what happens.

0 Kudos
oreeh
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The easiest way is VMware Converter.

You can also use vmkfstools to import the VMDKs to the new datastore and after that create new VMs pointing them to the existing disks.

0 Kudos
VMKR9
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

if registering the vmx file through the datastore browser doesnt work, create a new vm and add the existing vmdk files and before powering up right click on it and upgrade virtual hardware

PScrib
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I copied the "image" files into my shared LUN and then added the .vmx file for each "image" using "Add to Inventory" within the "browse Data store" GUI.

Once again thanks guys!

:smileycool:

0 Kudos