VMware Cloud Community
jerryroy1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

How do I change a Lost password on ESXi when I can't get grub menu?

I have an ESXi 3.5 server I inherited and I cannot get to the grub menu to reset the password. It boots so fast right into the ESX server interface and I have tried every keystroke I can think of to get to the grub menu. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Select the summary tab for the host and you'll see the datastores there.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
14 Replies
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

Check this site instructions: http://www.petri.co.il/vmware-esx-server-root-password-reset-recovery-lost.htm

=========================================================================

William Lam

VMware vExpert 2009

VMware ESX/ESXi scripts and resources at:

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

0 Kudos
jerryroy1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Still same issue - How do I get to the Grub menu?

0 Kudos
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

As Dave as mentioned in this link, for ESXi you have the option of a repair or booting an alternative OS to clear the password. The link I referenced is only for classic ESX and that should be done directly on the console or via some remote console such as DRAC/iLO, you'll want to reboot and catch the grub loader.

=========================================================================

William Lam

VMware vExpert 2009

VMware ESX/ESXi scripts and resources at:

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Is your system a fresh install or has it been patched at any time? If it's been patched you would have to state.tgz files. Did you change the most recent?

0 Kudos
jerryroy1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I don't even know if it is new or patched. I inherited it from an admin who left the company and won't return calls. Isnt there some keystroke or way to force it upon boot to stop at the grub menu? I have tried alt +f1 ctrl +d etc.. I can't get that damn thing to pause so I can enter any commands. It is a dell 1850 with dual xeons if that helps at all Smiley Happy

TIA for all the quick responses Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

ESXi doesn't have a Linux service console as with ESX so it doesn't have a grub menu to use. On the initial screen you can press shift+o to add boot options, but the pasword reset option that might find listed on some sites only worked with the beta for ESXi.

I haven't seen any other methods to reset the password other than the link provided, but you could run a repair install as mentioned. That will wipe the system partitions, but leave the VMFS partitions alone. After the repair you would re-add your VMs to inventory.

0 Kudos
jerryroy1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks all for the support - EXCELLENT! - I will run a repair Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
jerryroy1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Am I doing a search under "Repair install"?

0 Kudos
jerryroy1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

OK, I did a repair - so how do I see if I have any VM's on the local box and re-import them? It does look like there are any there.

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Right click on the datastore and select browse. You can add your VMs back to inventory by right clicking on the VM file and selecting add to inventory. On the browser window there is also a search function which you can use to find all your VMX files.

0 Kudos
jerryroy1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Which Tab is the Datastore?

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Select the summary tab for the host and you'll see the datastores there.

0 Kudos
Cookiesmonster
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

It worked absolutely fine for me.

Thanks!

Thomas

0 Kudos